The Planted Tank Forum banner

need some help with substrate

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  sbarbee54 
#1 ·
ok so i have had crs in a tank with fss for about a year now. its finaly starting to break down some and slowly loosing its buffering ability. im wanting to use this tank for tigers. i dont know weather to go with just sand or capp the fss with sand and keep the soil for the plants. its not leaching anything just ph has come up to 6.5 from about 6 in the last couple months. any ideas cause i dont want to buy a new buffering substrate cause i dont know how long the tank will be up

#2 ·
Are you using RO water?
Personally I never had success breeding tigers in water with greater than PH 6.5.If you cover used-dirty substrate with sand you may create bacteria bomb under. Get some trumpeter snails to dig and clean FSS if it is dusty already -replace it with new one. You will miss a lot of troubles and time if you skip substrate replacement in the middle of the breeding season.

#5 ·
i breed oebt quite well in my tap water for 2 years untill last march when we had a tornado really close and they dumped all kinds of crap in the water and the tank got to hot. they ended up with bacterial infection from that and lost my colony. but ive since had red tiger and a few oebt that breed in my water. but now want to try another type. i think i will just get rid of the soil all together, and go with the sand alone. my parameters are

ph about 7.2 with just tap
gh7
kh2
tds = verrys per tank and what is in it

#12 ·
tds is any average 210 can be up or down a bit depending what all is in the tank decor wise, tigers tend to get more bacterial infections though cause of the higher ph or that has been my experiance with them. kinda have to keep a close eye on tank temp. i will prob run extra air for more surface movement when it gets warmer but with hubby home this summer and not deployed im sure it will only be between 65 and 70 in the house lol

#11 · (Edited)
From experiences Tiger shrimps do best in 7.0-7.2 PH that's my normal RO water PH. They breed like crazy in my tank along with Fire Red. Unlike CRS Tiger are very hardy just like Cherry and the water parameter for Tiger and Cherry are the same. My TDS was spiked to 700+ for couple months without my knowledge and my Tigers still breed like rabbit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.