The Planted Tank Forum banner

can you ID these two plants?

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Indian fern 
#1 ·
The first is the stem plant in the lower center of this photo that also pokes up on the left from behind the rock. The stem easily fractures into shorter pieces but stays put and grows well with CO2 and EI dosing.

This second has a poor photo, sorry. It has a single stem and multi-lobed leaves similar to H. difformis in look. It is NOT wisteria though; the leaves are broader and they all come from the central stem. I am asking about the blurred plant beneath the endler and behind the Cyperus helferi leaf.

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi tomfromstlouis,

The first one looks like Naja species (guppy grass)

The second on looks like Ceratopteris cornuta (the leaves seem to be coming from a crown and not a stem)

#7 ·
Thank you all for the help.

I am doubting your ID for the second plant with the terrible picture because it does indeed have leaves coming from one single stem. Perhaps you can see the stem in this picture:

If you look just above the rock you can see the single green stem. This plant is doing well but does not grow as fast as my hygrophila varieties.

#11 · (Edited)
Right Jeff, it is not the hygro we are talking about. I do not remember who gave me the plant but I remember that it hitchhiked in with something I requested. It was just a small piece that I stuck into the substrate it has steadily grown, but not nearly as fast as H. difformis..

It is NOT H. difformis - a plant I have and know well - the primary difference being the way the leaves radiate from the stem. Difformis has leaves that radiate alternately from the stem; these have a PAIR of leaves that come from the stem on opposite sides of the stem every inch or less. One pair radiates east and west, an inch later another pair comes out north and south, etc. The leaves seem a bit broader too, not as needley as difformis.

If needed I will pull it out and provide a better photo.

#12 ·
It is NOT H. difformis - a plant I have and know well -
I think it is too.
the primary difference being the way the leaves radiate from the stem. Difformis has leaves that radiate alternately from the stem;
Nope, it has opposite leaves, just like all of them.

these have a PAIR of leaves that come from the stem on opposite sides of the stem every inch or less. One pair radiates east and west, an inch later another pair comes out north and south, etc.
Opposite and decussate, just as it should be.

#13 ·
Is it possible that what I have elsewhere and have always thought of as H. difformis is water sprite? Yes, it is quite possible that I am in error, although memory tells me I bought my original piece of it from a reputable vendor as H. difformis. Then again my memory could be wrong too.

Life as a dunderhead has its downside....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.