The Planted Tank Forum banner

Live fish food living in my planted tank?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  somewhatshocked 
#1 ·
Is this possible, if so what type of critter can I introduce into my tank that can be part of the ecosystem?

I have some dario dario that I'm keeping in a 29g with a couple dozen CPDs ,and I have no idea if they are eating my frozen food. So my idea is to introduce some type of critter that will live/reproduce in my tank that provides a natural sustaining food source for the dario. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I have a similar setup minus the CPDs. I have a colony of RCS in the tank. While I like the RCS just fine, the main reason they are in there is to provide some live food in the form of baby shrimp for the darios. I also feed live microworms to the darios daily. It is very difficult to figure out if darios are taking frozen or dried food. You really have to watch them closely. I know you probably love your CPDs but I suspect that they get most of the food. You might want to give the darios there own little world to live in.

#4 ·
I thought about shrimp, but wanted something more in the line of bug/insect/worm. Googling around I'm not sure I've read about people who let worms live in their tanks.. And if its even possible. I like cherries,but they always take over my tanks like little roaches!

#6 ·
I had my tank set up 40 gallons for three months with eco complete and laterite substrate for over 3 months before adding fish i fillled it with plants black worms, scuds, and some kind of small snail i dont know what they look like tiny mts snails but dont grow bigger then pencil tip. Let them populate with lots of ground cover plants moss vals. Originally set up for rainbow pipefish but wasnt able to get a hold of them so just put scarlet badis in. They feed off the scuds not so much the black worms. Scuds reproduce fast. But my fish po is small 7 total. Havent fed the tank in 6 months scuds eat the dead plant mattet and they get eatten.

#7 ·
I use amphipods (Amphipoda hyalella). My fish are crazy about them. They live everywhere. Filter, plants, substrate... and apparently they're really yummy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.