The Planted Tank Forum banner

UG care

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  fishboy87 
#1 ·
Hi

I have been meaning to try UG for a while now but there is pretty limited information on the internet about this plant. If any of you have any personal information about keeping it like specific requirements, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!!

#4 ·
Not usually no, UG growth is via runners, so occasionally
you get the stray runner growing above, you can replant
that.
The usual trim/mow is just like cutting grass, leaves
everywhere, mow it just before water change, net out
as much as possible, then water change gets the rest.

#5 ·
I finally got my UG to take off in my shrimp tank and now I'm fighting hair algae in it. Such a pain. I have almost pulled all my UG out trying to remove the hair algae. Now I've put about 15 amanos in there. Hopefully they will be able to be more selective than I can. I sure hope they take care of it. This was about the 4th or 5th time I have tried this stuff and was finally successful - just to be foiled by the hair algae! ARGG!!!

#24 ·
Well, the UG that I recently got seemed to be doing well and then my tetras and SAE decided to have a snack. It is still alive but all of the tips are chewed and the chunk floated to the surface. I clipped off the plant portion of a fake foreground plant I had in a closet and it turned into a crossed plant weight -that floats-. So I went outside and gathered 4 small rocks to weight down each end. I figure that because UG grows so thick that it will cover the rocks and "weight". At least if the fish would bite it that the roots will first have a chance to establish themselves. What do you guys think of this? I'll post pics in a little to show more specifically what I mean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.