The Planted Tank Forum banner

NEW: 30gallon tall riparium

38K views 67 replies 19 participants last post by  Agent69 
#1 ·
So my dad & I have decided to start a riparium this Summer! Surprisingly it didn't take much convincing lol.

So we bought a 30 gallon tall tank: 24.25inch X 12.5inch X 24.75 inch

Wood Building House Plant Gas

We have to clear the area where we plan on setting it up so currently, we are still in the planning process.

Lighting: We already have T5NO (I think they're NO) bulbs. Four 20watt bulbs, 2 2700K and 2 6500K that we've been using to start seeds. My dad built a box painted white around it for better reflection.

Wood Publication Automotive exterior Book Tints and shades

Can anybody give me any input on the usage of these lights that we already have? If not these, what about LEDs?

Filtration: I was thinking some internal filter from [Ebay Link Removed] It wouldn't let me post the link.

Heater: Some heater from ebay

Hardscape: Malaysian driftwood and river rocks. Don't have them yet but that's the plan.

Substrate: Pool Filter Sand. Haven't gotten that either haha.

Flora: We want to keep it simple. Sweet Flag is a big candidate because we have extra of that. Anything we can find at a local nursery or hardware store would be ideal. We're not trying to lead the hobby. Suggestions would be most welcome. We want to have submerged plants too (annubias, dwarf sag, crypts, maybe java fern). We haven't even ordered the planters yet.

Fauna: We're a long ways from that.

See less See more
#2 ·
If I were you I would set that up as a high-humidty riparium and get some awesome emersed crypts, Anubias, Java fern and stuff like that going. A 30 High is a pretty nice shape for that. I have done several setups like that already and I can make a list with some of the best plants if you want.

#5 ·
OK here are some suggestions...

In hanging planters:
  • Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
  • C. wendtii 'Mi Oya'
  • C. wendtii 'Tropica'
  • C. walkeri "lutea"
  • C. usteriana
  • Spathiphyllum 'Golden Glow'
  • various other Spathiphyllum
  • Lagenandra thwaitesii - cool collector plant if you can find it

On trellis rafts:
  • Anubias barteri var. nana
  • Microsorum 'Windelov'
  • Fittonia

#6 ·
Okay so now I need to show that I'm totally serious about this riparium lol. So this weekend, Dad & I cleared the space on our shelves, pulled them out, vacuumed the area, cleaned the windows above and added support.

Today I got a piece of wood. $76 from my LFS. Cost almost as much as the tank. It kept sliding down for the picture causing me to take a terrible picture, but I do plan to prop the wood more upright. Waiting on the heater, and filter. Then we can add the sand and water. Still need to order the planters.

Wood Fluid Rectangle Window Automotive exterior

#11 ·
Today, progress was made. Yesterday, we went to a local nursery and picked up some garden plants, as well as 3 riparium prospects. The heater and filter came today and so immediately we washed some play sand, put the three things in and started cycling.

Pics:

Wood Audio equipment Wood stain Flooring Hardwood

Plant Flower Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant

Wood Automotive exterior Shade Water Gas

As far as plants go, we're still not 100% about what's going in. We're still waiting on the Riparium Supply planters (shipped today according to e-mail). We're not trying to lead the hobby with this 30 gal. This is simply "version 1." We're not trying to impress our friends/family about how rare and special certain plants are etc. We're going to wow everyone with what's locally available and easy to obtain. Look for another update next week :)

#12 ·
That box shipped out yesterday. I hope you will see it early this coming week.

It's important to be really careful with nursery plants because they often come with insect pests. Of those ones that you got the fern probably won't make it as a riparium plant. The Draceana might grow OK. That pink plant looks like a Hypoestes. I tried that once, but it didn't want to grow in the water.

Can you find any crypts at your local LFS? This tank would be really cool as a high-humidity setup with crypts and stuff like that and you can have a lot of fun with those kinds of plants. I just resurrected this how-to thread that I started last year....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/115353-riparium-how-high-humidity-setups-2.html

I hope to add more to it soon.

#13 ·
Thanks for the tips. We're willing to take a chance on the Draceana. We have pink ribbon grass in our water garden in the backyard so the Draceana will kind of be the indoor version of that. Thanks for the heads-up about the fern. We may implement it in the area outside of the riparium. The Hypoestes splash will also be a gamble.

My LFS sources will have crypts for sure. This Tuesday I'm going on a big plant shopping spree in San Francisco. I'm also getting a black background, a thermometer and root tabs. The C. Wendtii I remember seeing potted submersed for $15. Is that a bad deal?

Crypts will definitely be on the shopping list. Along with Java Fern, Dwarf Sag, Vals (or some kind of tall grassy thing) and anubias.

#15 ·
If you want to put the Hypoestes in there I would recommend planting it on a trellis raft. I don't think it will root at all in a planter.

Vals or Sagittaria could be good for the underwater area, but I wouldn't grow them in the emersed portion. Vals can't really grow at all emersed and dwarf Sagittaria is a puny plant and not very full emersed.

Please look at that list of selections that I suggested for the riparium portion. Those are all real good ones and tested already. You will have much better luck using the tested plants that grow well in ripariums. If you don't you might not get much of a result at all.

Underwater-grown crypts will do just fine so long as they have some nice rhizome. You can expect much of the foliage to melt back if you plant them in riparium planters, but just give them some time and they will resprout with new emersed-adapted leaves. Be sure to use good root fertilization with crypts in planters. If you get potted crypts with lots of rhizomes all grown together you should tease the little divisions apart, trim the roots and plant several spread apart in each planter.

#18 ·
The Riparium package came today!

I was just leaving class when my Dad texted me. I immediately went into a LFS and picked up a black background and thermometer and rushed home.

I encourage anyone thinking of starting a riparium to document your setup and support Hydrophyte's Riparium Supply business. With our order he added some potting mix, gro soil tabs and two plants! It came to us in Northern CA very quickly and so far things are looking promising.

I immediately opened the box and planted the two plants. Spathiphyllum 'Golden Glow' and Lagenandra thwaitesii, an emersed crypt.

Wood Rectangle Terrestrial plant Tableware Basket

The Golden Glow is not pictured that is the Lagenandra thwaitessii.

Font Material property Publication Science Advertising

Detailed directions on how to assemble the plants in the planter

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant Grass

I topped it off with more potting mix than that but I'm pretty damn sure that's what it's supposed to look like.

Plant Water Flowerpot Pet supply Organism

Boom. Ready for action.

We had some issues with water clarity so we did a 90% water change and are starting a new cycling period with that. So far the water is much more clear but we'll have our eyes on it. I really enjoy this part of starting up a riparium or aquarium. The blank canvas where your mind runs wild with ideas. Tomorrow is the big plant shopping day when my LFS get their new stuff in. Stay tuned.

#19 ·
Hey I'm glad that stuff got there in good shape. Sometimes shipping to California can be kind of slow for some reason(???).

Nice work planting that stuff up. That looks perfect. Those plants were both on the small side, but just give them some light and they should grow for you. You might see the Lagenandra melt back some, but it will grow back. I have some here that I started a couple of months ago in planters and they are starting to fill out nicely. Now that you have the Lagenandra in there it will be good to keep the lid on the tank to keep humidity up.

#20 ·
#21 ·
So one of my LFS was closed today because they're closed on Tuesdays. I felt like a huge dumbass taking a bus all the way there to find out. I've been there 5 times I should have known. BUT:

My other LFS source got their new shipments in today and I got the first catch in the freshwater plants. They have a "potted plants $4.99 each buy 3 get 1 free." So I got 2 crypts, a crypt wendtii 'bronze' and a crypt wendtii 'tropical.' The other plant was a Brazillian Sword. I've found mixed views on whether this plant can survive submerged but it can for sure and probably more ideally be emersed because it's a type of spathiphyllum. I also snuck a pot of annubias on ($7.99) but that made my free plant and now that's on a trellis raft.

My dad is currently playing Age of Empires III on the other computer where the pictures are so I'll post them when he's done.

#22 ·
Okay pics. I'm having a tough time deciding which of these plants should go in my last hanging planter: Crypt wendtii red, or Crypt bronze, or Brazilian Sword. Would it be plausible to put 2 species in one planter? Or are any of these able to handle a raft?

Plant Green Flowerpot Houseplant Botany

Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Botany Terrestrial plant

Spathiphyllum planted successfully.

Plant Plant community Flower Houseplant Vertebrate

From left-Right: Annubias barteri nana, Sweet Flag, Spathiphyllum 'Golden Glow', Hypoestes, Dracaena, Spathiphyllum peace lilly.

I took more pictures, but the lighting was kind of off so just these for now.

Today (Wednesday) I'm going to my other LFS to hopefully get the Vals and Dwarf Sags for the submerged areas, and the Java Fern Wendilov for the rafts. And whatever else is looking good. More pics to come.

#24 ·
View attachment 49081 I just spotted a plant in that riparium I currently have potted is this the draecena I believe it's called and is it safe for fish/amphibians I have an axolotle in my riparium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why not. I saw someone else use Draecena in a riparium and their fish didn't die. I think it did outgrow the environment though.

Anyways: Version 1 of Goob's 30 gallon tall riparium is well under way. Today I went to my other LFS and got some Lace Java Fern for the rafts, Dwarf Sag, Val nana, and a pot of narrow leaf micro sword that I'm going to try to grow emersed (separate experiment). I also obtained some more stones from around the neighborhood and sprinkled a few pebbles on the sand.

I also put the cryptocoryne 'tropica' and the brazillian sword together in one hanging planter. Let the best plant win. I propagated all leftovers in my 10g.

Pics:

Tank with top on, humidity at work.
Water Plant Vertebrate Green Organism

Not such a great picture
Plant Vertebrate Green Organism Pet supply

I really hope that Lace Java Fern works out and fills up.
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Flower Botany

The bottom: Val Nana, Dwarf Sag, Java Fern, Brazillian Sword, Lace Java Fern, Anubias Barteri Nana, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'bronze'
Water Plant Vertebrate Green Organism

Plant Water Vertebrate Organism Terrestrial plant

Narrow shot:
Plant Plant community Water Pet supply Terrestrial plant

Look from up top:

Plant Flower Houseplant Flowerpot Leaf

Tomorrow I'm going to clean out the filter media in the submersible filter. Thinking of adding a few drops of some liquid ferts give the plants a little something to work with. But yeah I'm at a good spot with this. Probably not going to add fish for another 2+ weeks. Not quite sure yet about the fauna list. For sure Cherry Barbs.

Hope you all have enjoyed the thread :)

Attachments

#27 ·
UPDATE TIME:

Everything is still alive. No fish yet. We're still letting it cycle. The planter plants are all doing phenomenally and so are the raft plants. The Java Fern Windelov is taking a while transforming from its submerged stage to its emersed form. Well worth the wait I'm sure.

Surprisingly, the Hypoestes (the pink plant) is doing pretty well. Its roots have grown and the leaves have oriented themselves towards the light. As you can see, the new leaves are growing in too. Whenever I knock it over, it reorients itself in less than 2 days.

The Spathiphyllum is flowering as expected. The Crypts are starting to send out new leaves. Particularly the C. Wendtii 'Tropica' on the far left planter looking like it will outcompete the brazilian sword but we shall see.

The submerged plants are melting and sending out new growth. Picture time:

Plant Wood Pet supply Terrestrial plant Grass

Plant Terrestrial plant Houseplant Grass Aquatic plant

Plant Botany Pet supply Wood Fish supply

^ ignore the reflection of the hammock
Flower Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Leaf

Wood Shade Window Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant Fruit

Plant Water Pet supply Wood Terrestrial plant

Still contemplating on fauna. Heavily leaning towards 6 or 7 cherry barbs mixed with golden danios? 2-3 Panda Corys, and what about shrimp? Any input on fauna would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.