The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Fraternity of Dirt

109K views 581 replies 209 participants last post by  Patriot 
#1 · (Edited)
The Fraternity of Dirt
motto:
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Welcoming any dirty tankers to join.
To me NPT is the use of dirt (any dirt) as the primary media under a containing cap material.
That's the only requirement for membership.
CO2 or non, high tech / low tech doesn't matter. Got dirt? Got a journal about a tank with dirt? Good to go :proud:

People searching for dirty tanks here on TPT will have a guide to your thread simply finding this list.
Share your experience and help create a guide simply by keeping you're tank threads updated.
Got wet dirt? Simply adding you're name and picking a number is how to join.

NPT - natural planted tank
Broad term for soil based aquariums.

Many are trying to tie the use of this term to the works of Dianna Walstad author of Ecology of the Planted Aquarium.
The author herself doesn't claim this if any bother to actually read her book. (I did and keep it on the self reading it often)

Others have tied it to only low light or natural light, no CO2 systems with an emphasis on low-tech, natural aquariums and aquatic plants. (lack of techy stuff)

I like this web posted description that's from a site dedicated to the topic:

"The term "Natural Aquarium" can be used to describe different types of planted aquariums, including any planted aquarium. To me a natural aquarium is a low tech planted tank, generally set up to resemble natural types of settings. These tanks are usually a bit less formal than some of the other planted tank styles, and can often include invertebrates as well as fish and plants. I think of a natural aquarium as compared to other aquariums as a country garden is to a more formal one."
http://naturalaquariums.com/

To me NPT is the use of dirt as the primary media under a containing cap material.

Google it (NPT) and you spend the rest of the day reading the results. LOL

What I'm doing (or trying to) is loosely tie together or link to threads on this type of tanking.
Dirt substrates (my opinion)
Dig it up in your yard or spend $1000.00 on 'the good stuff' (lmao) Even AS doesn't always preform and act nicely in a tank. Dirt is dirt.

Seeing a member sig with the logo in it or reading this thread where people claim a number and link they're tank threads gives a list of those here on TPT and reviewing those threads the results of using 'x' and 'y' produced WOW, YUCK or OMG! results. This is what 'I' did in 'my' tank. Pictures timeline yada yada are there following the members posts.
MTS, AS, backyard dirt matters not! If it's dirt it can be linked.
Got dirt? Got it wet in a tank? Get a number and join! (if you choose)
Share what happens using what you put in a tank both good and bad.

I'm not about 'excluding' people. More about doing and learning so nothing elite about me LOL.

Everybody wanting to join should see something like this posted by the last member joining please pass along whats below in your post joining and see you in the threads:proud:

The Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member List
Joining please (copy) this entire text without quoting it then insert it (paste) in your joining post and add yourself at the end.
wkndracer - first member coining the phrase on TPT
nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater, kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11 (add yourself here)

and post a link to your tank thread.

See less See more
#3 ·
#8 · (Edited)
I started my dirty little tanks way back in the late '70's when almost everyone I ran into said, "NOOOO!!!!! DON"T DO IT!!!!"

Been doin' it ever since. :)

Today I have four tanks that have some form of dirt in them. I use leaf loam about 1/4" - 1/2" capped with Paver sand.

Two 10 Gallon tanks.
One 20 G Long
One 30 G Breeder

I'll Take that Number 4 position thank you.

#9 ·
I would like to throw myself in the mix with my nano so[STRIKE] #4[/STRIKE] #5 for me please. I will soon have another dirt entry with my 55 coming onboard soon.

Link to my dirt endeavor is in my signature and if anyone ever needs to pick my brain feel free.

#11 ·
I want in! I started a 55 a few weeks ago with MGOPS under a 50/50 mix of pea gravel & FloraMax. Only problem is I'm a GIRL, so the fraternity is a drag! lol
I'm going to take what I learn from my mistakes with my present 55, and do another dirt tank for my bedroom - another 55 or up.
My motto is; Down & Dirty
(I think DogFish is #6, so I'll be #7 - unless whomever wanted #7 shows up)

#14 ·
Ok, I think I've got the signature thing understood...

WOO-HOO!
Now I'm gonna need help on figuring out how to start a journal & add a link to it to my sig?

#17 ·
To start a Journal just go to the Journal Section and start a new thread, post you basic setup information, post some pictures, and keep it updated.

For pictures I like using Photobucket to keep my pictures and then to post here you just click the share IMG thing and it copies it and then you go to your thread post and right click and paste.

To put it in your signature open your journal thread and copy the URL. Then go the signature editor and click Insert Link and paste the url.
You can rename the link by highlighting the part in red...http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1474072[/URL

and retyping what you want the name to be
like this...
[URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1474072"]Fraternity of Dirt[/URL

If done right it should look like this
[URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1474072"]Fraternity of Dirt

#15 ·
ADA AS is "dirt" as well, is that included? It's clay loam, we have million's of metric cubic meter's worth in rice paddies. Pretty much the same stuff.

Non commercial will not suit the definition either.....since many use Miracle Grow etc.......and it's processed etc.......

Revise the definition somewhat to account for this? Or leave it be?

#18 ·
ADA AS is "dirt" as well, is that included? It's clay loam, we have million's of metric cubic meter's worth in rice paddies. Pretty much the same stuff.

Non commercial will not suit the definition either.....since many use Miracle Grow etc.......and it's processed etc.......

Revise the definition somewhat to account for this? Or leave it be?

Tom ... I think we can let you in as an Honorary member. You have always had great advice and an ability to bring some real technical stuff about water chemistry and the like down to almost anyone’s understanding.

So take the next number you have my vote.

Best wishes,
Wes

#16 ·
Well, if you want to go non-commercial, I don't mind. I'll remove myself until I learn to make my own dirt work! : )

#19 · (Edited)
#20 ·
kamikazi, you gave me a headache! lol
Don't count on any links from me for a while! I'll have to start a photobucket account, I guess...

#22 ·
I'm lost when it come to technical stuff with computers - I was nearly 40 before I got my first one! lol I use Picasa, so I started a Picasa web album with Google. Now I have to figure out how to link to it. I have to go into work now, so at least I won't cook my brain just yet...lol

#24 ·
Yep, I hadn't thought of that until he mentioned it. I'm not sure someone like me, just adding premade "dirt" under another premade gravel really shows any kind of accomplishment in planning...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.