The Planted Tank Forum banner

API Algae fix and moss

30K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  Cardinal's Keeper 
#1 ·
I had a pretty major catastrophe this Summer in my moss that caused a bunch of hair algae. Has anyone used API Algaefix with their moss and would know which ones it will kill for sure? I know its not safe with snails or shrimp, but has anyone rinsed the moss and tossed it into a shrimp tank without losses? Just thought id test the waters here before I begin testing at home. Thanks!

#3 ·
Ok. I did a search and got the usual answer of "you need to fix the root of the problem" Well the root of the problem was that I couldnt get to them to adjust for evaporation or adjust ferts or Co2, so the cause of it is fixed. And I could sick the army of Amanos on them, but it would take alot of time that I dont have. I am really just wondering if some of the tender algaes like Pellia, Mini Pellia, and Rosemoss will make it. If any Taxiphyllum sp. will survive, I would assume all of them will. I hope theres good feedback on this thread or its going to become a little experiment thread in the next few weeks :)

#4 · (Edited)
Well after some research, it seems that it doesnt contain Copper. It limits O2 intake to inverts so I am going to assume that if its treated in quarantine, then rinsed, and returned to the tank, it will be safe for shrimp. I will experiment with this as well. As for now, the Algaefix is ordered and awaiting arrival. When it gets here I will post up pictures and results from samples of all 22 varieties of moss/liverworts that I keep and see which ones work well with it and which ones melt. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to chime in. Remember that this treatment is for hair algae only though.

#7 ·
API says its invert safe after 48 hours. I will experiment with some culls to see if this is true. I will for sure quarantine to treat, then rinse before putting it in with shrimp. If it will kill shrimp I would think it would be fairly fast, as in a few days. Good idea on the prime, I have no idea how effective it would be against Algaefix either.

Depends on the kind of hair algae you have. Hydrogen peroxide could kill some of them, or flourish excel, or bleach. If you have fixed the root of the problem, usually the best course of action is to prune off any algae covered leaves/moss and wait for it to grow back.

I have always loathed these algae killer products, right up there with pH down, and those cloudy water reducers as one of the stupidest products on the market, but of course that is just my op.
I am with you on the products. I dont like them either and havent used them since my beginning plant days years and years ago. I have a major dilemma now. I have 22 kinds of moss. Each kind is tied to its own 3 foot dowel rod. They are smothered in algae. Theres way too much to pick it other than some basic pulling and twisting with a skewer. Theres also too much for Amanos to eat. H2O2 was a consideration, as was Excel(doesnt work for this hair algae) and bleach but they kill the moss as well. What I was hoping for here was an easy answer like "Yes, I used it and it killed all of my Pellia." but it looks like I have to use a cup and sample each one individually. If it works, the shrimp test will follow with culls for the experiment.

#6 ·
Depends on the kind of hair algae you have. Hydrogen peroxide could kill some of them, or flourish excel, or bleach. If you have fixed the root of the problem, usually the best course of action is to prune off any algae covered leaves/moss and wait for it to grow back.

I have always loathed these algae killer products, right up there with pH down, and those cloudy water reducers as one of the stupidest products on the market, but of course that is just my op.

#8 ·
In this case, it will work as suggested when used as directed.
Busan 77 is the herbicide name.

It had no impact on any mosses I've tried it on(about 6 species), nor any plant, kills shrimp moderately well, maybe 50-60% losses. Had no impact on a wide range of touchy fish.

You cannot beat this algae with black outs or dips really.
You toast the moss.

Algae eaters are some what effective but most that eat hair algae well.........also eat moss.

Moss gets algae bad and it entangles, making it nearly impossible to remove. I'm hardly the algicide promoter, but this does work as it says, stay away from the copper though.

You still need to address the root or plan on using this stuff every so often and have less than optimal growth.

#9 ·
Thanks for the feedback Tom. I did well with the mosses until I had my accident this Summer and couldnt get to them for a few months. So the root of the problem is solved. I am only concerned with getting back to where I was with them. I guess if Taxiphyllum mosses are fine theres no need to experiment with them. I am a little concerned about Rosemoss, Mini Rosemoss, Pellia, Mini Pellia, Subwassertang, Riccia, Mini Riccia, Queen moss, Notocyphus, and the varieties of Fissidens.

#10 ·
I can vouch that it works on hair algae. Surprisingly, doesn't work on Marimo balls. Yeah, I accidentally left the ball in the tank when I put the Algaefix in (the 2nd time I dosed didn't hurt it either). Also the tank had mosses and those weren't hurt.

My Marimos have lasted through multiple H2O2, Excel and Algaefix treatments. It suffices to say, if it ever becomes a pest...I'm in trouble.

#12 ·
I would doubt it has any impact when used as directed on moss.

It did not kill Cladaphora IME, test.

Gettign those last bits of hair algae is tough,m so this product actually works well and takes care of the remainder's that can hang o for about 1-2 months, even if you are very aggressive. So it can be cured with chemicals, but.........it is extremely hard to do labor wise and even worse with moss.

#13 ·
I had a little java and an unidentified moss in that tank.

I got the unidentified moss from Manini; and he thinks it's spikey moss, but is unsure. It's a really nice moss. I suppose I should get some pictures of it some time.

Also, I note that while it didn't affect the Marimo ball (clado algae)...it absolutely nuked the hair algae. All the hair algae was dead within a day.

#17 ·
First off, let me start this portion of the thread by saying I DO NOT advocate the use of this stuff. I have been keeping planted tanks for two decades and have never owned a bottle of this stuff. For multiple good reasons with the biggest being good tanks dont need it. At all. Period. But the porpose of using it is this. I was hit by a truck this Summer on my bicycle. that left me unable to get down the stairs to maintain my moss collection. There are 22 kinds of moss, tied to 3 foot dowel rods. Its alot of moss. My reservior tub ran dry, burned up my $130 pump, and my moss collection got hair algae so bad you almost couldnt tell what moss was what. Some of them I only salvaged a small golfball of. This product is my final attemp at recouping some of my losses. I didnt need this stuff before, and I wont need it after, but this is just too much algae to pick by hand or Amano. That being said, heres what were looking at...
The main ingredient in this stuff is Poly[oxyethylene(dimethylimino)ethelyne(dimeethylimino)ethylene dichloride]
Go ahead and say it twice to make sure you got it, ok? :)
It say to use 1ml per 10g. Thats a pretty small amout and it sure seems like one drop could OD the whole thing but whatever the directions say is what I did. I used established tank water in a new 10g to mix it. I then added it to seperate specimen containers to see what, if any, moss/liverworts its going to melt. It say to repet the dose every three days until the algae is under control. Here are the test specimens...

Riccia

GDA/GSA

Pellia

Fissidens

Mini Rose moss with bad hair algae

Willow

Notocyphus

BBA

Xmas

Spirogyra algae

Blue Green algae

Blanket Clado

Mini Pellia

Rosemoss

Subwassertang

Queen moss

Taiwan

Who has all of these algaes hanging around the house??? I do! :D I will be sending samples to Sewingalot for proper IDs through a microscope, but im pretty sure of the IDs for now. I will correct anything that might be wrong if she proves me wrong(as usual) ;) So this is day one. I will repeat the treatment every three days until i want my kitchen table back :hihi:

#22 ·
I've been using the API stuff since I saw this thread, Chad. it hasn't hurt any fish or plants. I've actually seen a little improvement. I use the instructed dose in my 50 along with Flourish Excel as directed. It has eliminated the hair, turned the majority of the BBA red and much more palatable to the snails and the tough matted green algae brought its stool and mike on stage to tell jokes about how it was "Bubba" to API in their fight... Didn't touch it. I ended up pulling plants and hand picking the stuff off.

This thread has been extremely informative and interesting... Thanks for sharing it all. Looking forward to more!

#23 ·
Chad, I've already tested it on those moss/liverworts without issues.

A couple I do not have, but the others, I do, some are pest species which I have not removed in some tanks, while others I actively keep.

If it killed things like "Pellia", Riccia, and some moss, I'd actually be very pleased.

Or snails.........

I also tested a single 1x time dose and it had no impact on Fire shrimp.
I spot treated some moss and then refilled the tank during a water change. Killed the algae and did no harm to anything else.

This treatment works if you catch the earliest stages of the hair algae growth.

#24 ·
Well so far, as you guys said, the mosses seem to be taking it well. The Spiro, BBA, GDA/GSA, and hair algae seem to be taking it rough already. I really didnt expect this stuff to kill Blanket Clado. I am going to wait the recommended 3 days, then im going to nuke the crap out of the mosses and Clado and see what it takes to kill them. Any suggestions on a starting overdose amount? Tom says he spot treated, then refilled the tank and the moss didnt die so im guessing it will take alot. 5X the recommended amout to start?

#25 ·
Well, i just needed to clear some hair outta my rotala... api is a 4.6 % concentration.
i used tetra's brand. its 5.4 % and it says same dosage

i have around 36 gallons with my sump total volume. i put 4 ML in and fish/ plants are fine 3 days in. ammonia has't spiked.. so 1.5-2 x the reccommended amount would be a SAFE place to start i would think

#26 ·
Never had any luck with it working on BBA. I either have a super strain of it or.... It works well on GSA and hair, but BBA? Not in my experience. I called API and talked to a rep there and he told me it wasn't effective on it. YMMV

I've even overdosed it once by going past the recommended 3 day regimen. Don't do that. I nuked several of my crawling plants of which none survived. Had that not happened I could say confidently that everything in the tank lived through even the OD and looked healthy.

#27 ·
Hmmm....I cant say for sure yet Moose, but the BBA is grey instead of Black like it was yesterday. If it turns Red we will know for sure. what kind of crawling plants are you referring to?

HD, I will start with the double dose then :( Dang. I wanted to nuke some stuff right away :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.