The Planted Tank Forum banner

oxygen problem

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  20cc 
#1 · (Edited)
i have this weird problem that has happened twice . today and a month ago allready. In the morning i notice my fish are gasping for air at the top of the tank . this is hours before lights on so co2 is off . i cant explain what can cause this as i am fairly new to the hobby really . can it be the UV sterilizer is all i can think it could be. both times i just did a water change and all was fine. water parameters are spot on.

any input from you pros is appreciated....thanks

#6 ·
I've had this same problem twice also. First time, it resolved in a couple hours. I had no idea as to it's cause. PH: OK. Ammonia: OK. Tank parameters: 55 gal, temp 76, ph: 6, fish: apistos, cardinals, angelfish, killies. I use Flourish excel and trace elements. SunSun canister filter with UV. Change 25% water per week. Have an air pump which runs on a timer, comes on at night.
Second time it happened fish showing rapid respiration, some breathing at top.
I thought, OK, what have I done to my fish, or, what am I not doing? The only think I could think of: During the day, after the pump is off, there is little water flow from the canister. So, while the fish were in distress, I turned on the air pump, jacked it up, created rapid water movement at surface. Two hours later: fish back to normal. I now run the air pump much stronger at night, create excellent water movement, turn off when I dose with Flourish in the AM, and my fish have been doing fine.
I cannot think of anything else it might be: nitrogen problems don't exist in my tanks, I'm too careful. Have two other tanks with identical water parameters the only difference filters provide good water movement. Never had this happen in the other tanks. 20CC, you write that you are somewhat new to the hobby. The only advice I give to a new fellow hobbyist: Be aware of the dangers of ammonia!! Never overfeed your fish, they should practically eat everything before it hits the bottom of the tank. Doesn't hurt to keep the fish a little hungry all the time. I learned the hard way 30 years ago.

#7 ·
no i dont run bubbler but it looks like im going to have to start running one at night cause i dont want to wake up and find my fish floating. overfeeding is something that i have had to teach myself not to do . from what i have read plants take in oxygen at night maybe thats the reason there is no oxygen in the morning in the water...i dunno its weird.

thanks for your input everyone

#8 ·
well i as i was organizing the cabinet under the tank i saw that i didnt plug back in one of the filters....DOH. so maybe that was the issue . i cant remember if i did the same thing last time but still, one filter should be enough to handle that tank no ? anyway thanks for the responses, i put in a bubble to run at night just in case.....

:iamwithst

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.