The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 Chart

80K views 57 replies 47 participants last post by  Tiger15 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How do you convert from degs, on the chart, to ppm, what i have.

#4 ·
you don't have to convert, skip the degrees part. Type in your pH, then skip the degrees box, type in your KH reading ppm in the box to the right. Then when you click on the degrees box, your reading of both your co2 concentration and KH reading converted to degrees should show, pretty neat, took me a while to fig. out.

but i'm running 16.6 w/ DIY co2, i have the stuff for a co 2 tank, just can't find a co2 tank that is ridiculously priced, any suggestions?

#6 ·
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. This has been very confusing to me. My test kit also give results in "mg/L" and I don't know how to measure that in ppm. For example my test kit says to add one drop of solution at a time until it turns a certain color and take the number of solution drops added and multiply it by 20 for GH and 10 for KH. My tests resulted in 11 drops of GH solution and 11 drops of KH solution, which I then multiplied.

11x20=220 GH
11x10=110 KH

The chart only goes to 15 KH Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks. :)

#9 ·
The charts and calculators are not at all worthless. They are very good, but not for determining from the tank water KH and pH what the CO2 concentration is. If you use a drop checker, with distilled water having a known KH in it, the chart and calculator work extremely well. If you read carefully, Chuck Gadd notes in his discussion that the equation is not valid for water that isn't "perfect".

#10 ·
And

It’s for that some people prefer to use a drop checker solution, where you mix ph reagent and distill water that you bring to 4 or 5 dkh.

This way, no more guess...

4 dkh green at 30 ppm CO2
5 dkh green at 40 ppm CO2

cool
:icon_mrgr

#16 ·
so is this really needed for DIY CO2? Good thing I wasted the money on a kH and gH tester.

#17 ·
according to this I have over 100 ppm CO2 in my tank....

I have a KH of 3.5, and a pH that drops down, BELOW 6. I don't have any fish in the tank, and I'm using an ADA diffuser at 3bps in a 42 gallon.... My GH is also at .5

Is my CO2 really at over 100ppms?

#18 ·
Hmmm.....interesting, I guess different KH and PH readings can cause wide fluctuations to the point where the readings may or may not be accurate. I have a 10 gallon where water parameters tested monthly over 6 months would suggest that water parameters would be in the range considered ideal for plant growth, but the tank was plagued by fish deaths and very poor plant growth. As per drop checker the c02 level was 30 ppm, but as per on-line chart it was only 11.7 ppm. In that case, I was more inclined to believe that the on-line chart was more accurate, since black brush algae was one of the first types of algae to materialize and this usually materializes when
c02 levels are suboptimal.

#20 ·
how long will a 20lb co2 tank last for aprox. to get good levels in a 200gal tank? any good guesses[/quote

Running off the same cylinder (20lb) feeding two 75g tanks for over 6 months without any pressure drop. Drop checker color green/yellow green through Rex style reactors using AM controllers.

#22 ·
I found these charts to be pretty inaccurate. I used it just before getting a drop checker and had a PH of 6.6 and a KH of 6.5 telling me I had over 70 ppm of Co2.

I then put in the drop checker and it read a slightly dark green which is about 20ppm of Co2. I turned up the Co2 a little bit and got it at 30 - 40 (lighter green) and boom the plants started pearling like crazy. Other tests have indicated this chart not reading out how my drop checker is reading. I trust my drop checker over this personally.

#23 ·
I found these charts to be pretty inaccurate. I used it just before getting a drop checker and had a PH of 6.6 and a KH of 6.5 telling me I had over 70 ppm of Co2.
I trust my drop checker over this personally.
If I've looked at the chart right, pH 6.6 dKH 6.5 equals 49ppm CO2?
Doesn't a "drop checker" actually measure the pH (using bromothymol blue), not CO2. CO2 is then deduced from the chart according to your KH?
If your "drop checker" is green, using bromothymol blue, pH is ~6.6. Therefore, if your dKH is still 6.5 your CO2 is ~49ppm. However, if you have reduced your dKH to 4, then CO2 ~30ppm. (using the charts)
If you are interested, I am using excellent LaMotte CO2 titrator which could be used to verify your tanks parameters.
:fish1:

#24 ·
The whole point of using a drop checker is to make the CO2 chart work. It doesn't work when used with typical aquarium water, because there are too many things in the water that affect the pH, other than just carbonates and CO2. With a drop checker you are measuring the pH of a tiny bit of water that contains nothing affecting pH except carbonates (bicarbonates) and the CO2 that equalizes between the drop checker water and the tank water. The La Motte CO2 test is also a pH/KH test, so is also inaccurate. But, you can buy a CO2 probe and meter that will very accurately measure the CO2 concentration in the tank water, and do it very fast. All you need is a couple thousand dollars to spare.

#27 ·
Sorry I misposted my numbers, I actually had a PH of 6.4 and a KH of 6.5, not a ph of 6.6..my bad. I put in my drop checker the next day and after some adjustment and increasing the Co2 it was at 30 - 40 ppm and the plants began to pearl like crazy. It most definitely was NOT at 70ppm like the chart was telling me.

#28 ·
And since many rely solely on the chart as their metric for CO2, how might this over estimation, this belief that their test method tells them that there is much less CO2 in there than is really the case....might affect plant health, growth and algae?

The chart might work for some folks, not for others. This is a known fact and observation.

So there has to be another issue occurring besides those 2 parameters, pH/KH.

The drop checker gets around that, but............how accurate is the color changing in the DC? Can you tell between say 18ppm and 24ppm of CO2 with a DC? After adding CO2, how long does it take for the checker to change color?

How often should they(DC) be changed? What about placement of the DC?
It's a rough guide and slow to change device.

You give up one good trade off, and gain another, without really knowing if the CO2 is accurate or not.

Algae, plants, eyeballs , Riccia stones, fish, shrimp etc...........all these are perhaps better test kits for CO2. Or a mixture of all 3 methods, livestock/bioindicators, CO2 charts, and DC.

Do not rely too heavily on any one thing other than livestock.
"They" do not lie.

But folks need experience and to be careful, CO2 kills 99.99% of the fish with dosing errors, so it demands respect!

Regards,
Tom Barr

#29 ·
+1 on the above post. People usually have to find out the hard way in which l did when l was younger when my fish were gasping at the waters surface until l had to quickly add in some air stones and correct that problem. luckily none of the fish died. Anyways l couldn't agree more on that>> "Do not rely too heavily on any one thing other than livestock.
"They" do not lie." Basically don't be ignorant and follow just 1 sort of rule be open minded and experiment. Experience is often the best teacher!

#30 ·
What really are we talking about? We get around dosing checks with the EI method. Then, if we experiment using fish gasping, algae and pearling as a point of reference in upping or lowering our co2, is this just not another form of EI dosing? The chart and drop checker get no closer than we ourselves can predict with a close eye on our fish and tanks, and small changes in bps. Probably a better estimate considering we dont have restrictive limitations (numbers) and nor do our planted tanks.

#31 ·
In pre-drop checker days, when I was having loads of algae problems, I was frustrated because when I increased the bubble rate of my CO2 my fish would definitely show they were very uncomfortable with it, so I would stop increasing it. The chart showed that I consistently had around 60-100 ppm of CO2 in the water. I knew I would kill off the fish at that rate.

After I figured out how to make a drop checker work for me I found that the discomfort my fish were showing when I increased the bubble rate was mostly my imagination. I was able to greatly increase the bubble rate to get the green color, and not lose any fish. My algae problems eased off considerably.

I think many of us, new to pressurized CO2, are nervous about gassing the fish, so are gun shy about increasing the bubble rate enough to even get close to an optimum amount of CO2 in the water. A drop checker gives you the courage to go ahead and raise the bubble rate. Once you get over that hurdle, you eventually get to see what excessive CO2 does to the fishes behavior, then you can recognize it without using the drop checker again. I see it as a learning tool, more than as a precision testing device, which it certainly isn't.

#32 ·
I finally understand this, yay! For weeks now I've been reading about CO2, and it's now just finally dawned on me how to relate this chart to a drop checker. I was so focused on just understanding the process that I didn't even realize you're just checking the pH of the indicator solution. So NOW I know you take that pH reading and apply it to the chart.

Whew! I wish the first post of this thread said, "For use with a standard dKH solution. Compare the color of your drop checker to your pH test kit card, and use that reading (along with your standard dKH) to find your ppm of CO2." ...now that's here in case someone as slow as me reads this. :)

#52 ·
Whew! I wish the first post of this thread said, "For use with a standard dKH solution. Compare the color of your drop checker to your pH test kit card, and use that reading (along with your standard dKH) to find your ppm of CO2." ...now that's here in case someone as slow as me reads this. :)
Thanks! I too was using the pH reading of my tank water instead of the drop checker. Proper instructions should be printed in bold letters right on the chart itself. After you've been in the habit of checking the pH of tank water for years, and then you see a chart that requires you to take a pH reading, how are you supposed to just automatically know that it's a pH reading of a drop checker, not a pH reading of tank water like you've been accustomed to doing all those years?! Maybe some people are just born knowing this stuff, but not me.

#34 · (Edited)
Drop checker newbie here. I just got my drop checker in the mail and whipped up a batch of 4 dhk standard, added my pH reagent, and threw the drop checker in the tank.

Here is where my understanding of the chemistry behind what is going on gets fuzzy and I'd like someone to explain this to me if they can. Allow me to present the facts

I have a heavily planted 125 gallon with a 10 lb pressurized system that is pumping out about 3 to 4 bps. My drop checker is yellow reflecting a pH of approximately 6.4, by the chart provided with it, and co2 levels close to 70 ppm. However, when I actually test my water parameters my pH is sitting at 7.2 to 7.4. I do have hard water here so I'm not worried about the pH crash and I have crushed up cuttle bone in my canister to ensure that my pH stays at nuetral or above for my snails but what I don't understand is the inconsistency between the drop checker and the actual pH level.

I know that during the gas exchange inside the drop checker co2 is absorbed by the pH solution lowering the pH and changing the color but with a calcium carbonate buffer skewing my readings how do I know when its accurate? I mean how valid is this yellow color that I'm seeing?

Anyone help me out on this?

#35 ·
The point of a drop checker is that you are eliminating the guesswork of messing with your ACTUAL ph/kh. You are using the controlled KH of the Drop checker. The co2 lowers the PH in the drop checker and you get a direct reading. In your tank, testing the params is basically worthless. In the drop checker you get a controlled result.

Yellow is likely 30-40 ppm. Not 70. Maybe even under 30.

Ranges of yellow are hard to read. If you ahve livestock and they are not gasping, leave it alone. The real importance of dc's is that they help you know when it is way low. They react so slowly that your fish will tell you if you have a problem long before the dc will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.