The Planted Tank Forum banner

ProJekt X : Biotope/Paludarium

13K views 76 replies 28 participants last post by  izabella87 
#1 ·
Hola... !!
So today I decided to make a new tank for a natural looking biotope (small fish maybe salamanders etc) and paludarium, plants and so on top.
Project is still in the beginning phases but tonight, I put together the aquarium itself and the light fixture.
Last time i built and aquarium, it took me a week, 3 times redone, a total silicon mess, called my apartment the silicone valley... but this time 1 hr, all glued up together :)

Dimensions of the tank i built are 76 long X 37 high and 37 deep. (in centimeters) equals to 27.5 gallons.

The light is 3 spotlight on panels that are 76 cm high.

I still need to repaint the light fixture and water test the tank itself. Get the plants, the hardscape, wash the hardscape...
But all is going according to the plan.. my vague plan hehe..

Here are a few pics !
Inside
The side
Light
Futur location

See less See more
#4 ·
Sure, there are 3 tall ones which are Avocado trees I've grown from a seed.
At the extremities of it got coffee bean bushes (make coffee ;)).
There are a few tropical ferns near the edge of water.
In the water there is Java ferns.
And the driftwood and moss comes from local river.
There is clay as substrate and structure to whole the hill upright.

#7 ·
Thank you :D
Not bad for a girl hehe..
I was suposed to make a waterfall on the huge rock in the back but there wasnt enough water depth for my pump to bring it up. So i rescaped and put my avocado trees in the back.

#8 ·
Hi!
Thank you.
The light struckture. Very easy. Before i glued (siliconed i should say) the last piece of the aquarium, its top( glass pannel) I glued the base of the light structure on it then siliconed it to the side pannels. When it dried, I put the lights in place (its like a screw in system) 20$ light from Ikea !!!
For the painting. Yes its me. I also am artist. here is my website
www.visionaryillusion.wordpress.com
Hope to see some of your work :)

#11 ·
wait, did i read this right? there are avocado trees and coffee bean bushes in here?
...I want :p
what fish are you planing on keeping in this? I would've thrown in a random mudskipper request but pretty sure that they need a more brackish setup, aside from the fact that this thing looks way to cool to have to deal with that

#13 ·
I like this a lot, quite elegant. Always been a fan of emersed growth. The way in which you have this laid out reminds be of wabi-kusa, pretty cool.

#17 ·
Water is clear, new background, got a WATERFALL!!!! I did it i did it i did it lol.. it took a while to get that filter to collaborate with the low level of water so i raised the water and lowered the filter :D
Dunno if u can clearly see the waterfall in the pics, works best with a video.. maybe i make a video :D

GUPPIES & ENDLERS!!

The Water fall and the plants are growing

#20 ·
Hmm the water fall is simple a 5-15g hageenz filter ;) cover it with ground moss and it looks part of the decor.
Plants? Hmm various tropical/northamerican ferns, avocado trees, and Misc

#19 ·
So Ive redone the whole thing, just to raise the water level and used cement instead of clay. Doesn't fall apart!
Don't know what fish i'll put int it yet. Maybe cichlids?!? My guppies, endlers and lampayes are in the 15 gallons right now, enough space 4 all!
here are some pics

#24 ·
No clue, u tell me! I never worked with cichlids. Its not lots of space so some small that wont eat too much the few plants n moss i got in there. mostly java fern, java moss and some long leafs plant.

#27 ·
Really first try, you might have some trouble gluing your designed tank together, but here's a trick, put some duck-tape on the outside of the glass pieces which you are about to clue together and some objects on each side to hold your panels straight. Glue the smallest( less high) pieces first, for stability. Use 100% reg silicon, once its dry, its not toxic.
I suggest you ask for extra hands while doing this first time!
I got my tempered glass panels at Ikea in the shelving section!
Good luck with your project !

Oh and I will look up the fish you've suggested ! :D thank you guys (or girls)

#34 ·
This is fantastic, great job on it. Do you know the specs for the lights? Like watts/color temp, etc.

I say stick with the small fish for a tank like this. Cichlids would enjoy more room in my opinion. Awesome either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.