The Planted Tank Forum banner

Picotope 3g upgraded=10g

24K views 148 replies 23 participants last post by  PV1191 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I placed an order to a heater on dr.foster&smith for a heater and got something a little extra too. Thinking of doing a nano reef or shrimp tank but don't know yet.

Picotope
3 Gallon Aquarium Kit

Marineland
Visi-Therm Heater

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me tell you, if you haven't done a nano reef before prepare to have an ATO or prepare to babysit that tank two or three times a day to keep water levels right.

In austin went through a gallon a week of top off water on a 5g tank. Without an auto top off (gravity fed for me) I wouldn't have been able to keep that tank anywhere near stable. Just a warning about these pico set ups for reefs.

#7 ·
Probably low light only plants but size is the big factor then.
Basically anything short fuzzy and warm:D(mosses come to mind with Java fern) or look into higher light value LED's. Clip-on type. Or a bendable desk lamp with CFL maybe? Check around here in the nano section to see what others are doing with that type of tank unless they probe this thread to let you know.

#9 ·
I talked to a lfs they said they sell premixed SW for $1.99 or something like that a gallon all I need is 3 gallons. So I would need live sand but they sell it for $16 a small bag but i think that's a rip off. They said they sell live rock too that I would only need $5 worth. I don't think that I would need to upgrade my light because it's perfect for coral. Somebody said i might need a ATO because of humidity. I'm sure that I could make one. What you think? I'm thinking a neon goby would be perfect for this tank.

#10 ·
Nano's do lose water through evap quite profusely on the norm and because of the small size of the water column this aggravates the saline content quickly enough to kill that's the reason for the ATO.

If the constant mixing and water changes and checking salt content all the time does not bother you go for salt. Build, buy, or acquire the ATO and set it all up.

Challenges are what this hobby is all about for me, I like them so I generate them on my own by making things difficult sometimes. If your like this then I suggest salt over fresh. If not go fresh over salt to make things easier...

Either way It's all about personal taste.

BTW you still need to buy more saltwater eventually (a single gallon here and there) or make it yourself since you do have to do water changes occasionally.

#12 ·
I personally hate nano-reef. The people there are incredibly rude and snobby. 3reef and reefcentral have much better communities. When I was looking to report a bug with their website I was sworn at by their members, one of them was a community moderator. They aren't worth the trouble.

#14 ·
Yea buddy I just got off work and what was waiting on my couch? a box with my heater for my 29g and my picotope 3g. I got this stuff from doctor Smith and foster it was packaged pretty tight with styrofoam on top and bottom. I didn't like that the box for the aquarium had a little bend or two on the sides and some dust but not much this better not be used I'm thinking so I took the tank out the box to check it out the tank is wrapped all the way around with plastic and the filter and light were in two different boxes inside the tank everything looked good.This tank is freaking awesome looking too man it looks 10x better in person can't wait to take off the plastic and setup it up this weekend.

#16 ·
well there goes my dream for a nano reef with seahorses...

back to the fish store to stare obsessively.. they don't seem to mind as much when i bring my 15 year old daughter (she's cute and looks a bit older) ...

#20 ·
Not quite sure why yo think Dwarf Seahorses are difficult. I have seen them in tanks just like this or even smaller for a single pair. feeding is the only thing most people have difficulties with since they require live food but hey it's just worth that for the coolness of the horses.

Here's a link if your interested in reading more that explains things pretty much the way I've seen them cared for.
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/dwarfguide/dwarfguide.shtml

Of course if your dead set against them then there's always SW shrimps/crabs that look pretty cool with maybe a single fire goby type fish.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fir...AK_noDACA&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1627&bih=998

What ever you choose though good luck! can't wait to see the pics!

#27 ·
details... OMG.. photos... in a 3 gal? *happy dance* there is hope...
after she goes to college ... maybe i'll have some time/money... *fingers crossed*

#22 ·
Yeah there's a ton of little guys that can go into a tank that size. Just a matter of what you think you like to look at the most. I like the yellow head jawfish too.

Firefish jumping? I guess they can, but then any fish can "jump". With a piece of plastic mesh screen or just plastic window material(cleaned daily to keep light levels up) would work once cut outs for filter and such were made.

#25 ·
I hope this works for you. I have a picotope that I drilled and made a 2.5 gallon sump and 2.5 gallon ATO for and STILL had a difficult time with it. SW tanks are very difficult to keep stable in such small sizes though not impossible. Just be prepared to do regular maintenance and remember to use FW for you top offs NOT SW.

Also once you get fish in it, you can easily keep the water params good by changing small amounts of water each day. I always had a small amount of pre mixed SW ready and simply changed a few cups of water a day. Took only about a minute and kept things happy. No need for big water changes and wild swings this way.

Good luck.

#29 ·
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/247789-lyles-3-gallon-pico-build/

Proof that you can keep a SW system healthy in a 3 gallon picotope. This is my build thread for my picotope reef, mentioned in my earlier post. Page three shows the last photos of the system before breaking down the tank for a move. Unfortunately the tank is not set back up yet. The options for a tank this size are endless if you are willing to do the required work.

I had actually considered doing a pair of dwarf seahorses in this tank. Using the stock filter and light you could probably do it. Just be aware that the stock filter is pretty weak and I don't know that I have seen any successful systems using the stock filter. Mine would clog and stop working if I looked at it wrong.

Also, in a tank this size you will only be able to keep a couple of small fish. I personally like Catalina gobies. They are small, colorful, and have lots of personality. They are a colder water species though, so you would have to be careful to select only inhabitants that can survive in the colder water with them. There are some corals and macro algae that would make an awesome tank for these gobies.

Again good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you end up doing with this tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.