The Planted Tank Forum banner

Looking for LFS in cleveland area

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  simplicitysarah 
#1 ·
Hi! I live close to warren and there's only 1 lfs that I've found(won't shop for fish at pet smart
I love two turtlesin akron , but looking into cleveland too!

#2 ·
I subscribed to your thread just to see what answers you get. Two Turtles is the only decent store I know of in the Akron area. They're great but a tad pricey sometimes. ($5.99 for one cherry shrimp)

I go to Something Fishy by the Cleveland Zoo once in a great while. They specialize in Africans and that's all I've ever got there. They have other stuff too though. It's pretty far from me.

I'd definitely take a road trip if someone gives you some suggestions.

#3 ·
I used to live in Cleveland and I always went to RMS Aquaculture. It's near the airport. It's huge, and there was always a really diverse selection of freshwater and saltwater fish. Plus pond stuff, reptile stuff, some small mammal stuff. Lots of supplies as well. It was great - I really miss it, I'm in Cincinnati now.

There was also a really great salt water place I went to once with a friend, it was further out Southwest I think and I can't remember then name. If you're really interested I could try to ask for you. But otherwise RMS Aquaculture it is!

The address is on Engle Road, but the actual Suite number to RMS faces Sheldon. The parking lot is all connected, but you might be confused the first time you go there because the door isn't literally on Engle...

#6 ·
Just a word of caution on RMS... They're not quite what they used to be. They're the only large and private guy in Cleveland that I know of, they do a good job with their stock, usually, and almost always have a strong selection (this was always my one and only source for things like plants, ottos and cool coreys, and wood pieces for scapes). But the help, there, went from close to expert to folks who are seriously just misinformed.

They have (or had anyway) a sweet planted tank to the right of the entrance that got me into live plants to begin with. And there were three guys there that got me started full bore. Two of those guys left, and the third worked hours I couldn't get in there for. Soon I was on all the wrong tracks (recommended I use copper meds for snails, just one example) and instead went to the web for help.

Also, if you are indeed looking for the products off the shelves (filters, wood, heaters, tabs, food, etc) get ready to be just about gouged.

I used to be content with the prices because their info, help and stock were simply fantastic. Then, I think, the tough times pinched 'em or something. They closed their smaller store in Strongsville just before the recession and just operate the one, now.

#8 ·
Just a word of caution on RMS... They're not quite what they used to be. They're the only large and private guy in Cleveland that I know of, they do a good job with their stock, usually, and almost always have a strong selection (this was always my one and only source for things like plants, ottos and cool coreys, and wood pieces for scapes). But the help, there, went from close to expert to folks who are seriously just misinformed.

Also, if you are indeed looking for the products off the shelves (filters, wood, heaters, tabs, food, etc) get ready to be just about gouged.

I used to be content with the prices because their info, help and stock were simply fantastic. Then, I think, the tough times pinched 'em or something. They closed their smaller store in Strongsville just before the recession and just operate the one, now.
I agree....the prices on their equipment is definately on the high side. I used to go to the RMS in Willoughby all the time but they closed that one as well. Fortunately I work within 10 minutes of the one off of Engle :) Lately it seems like they are trying to get into the cold water side of the hobby. They have new tanks of Walleye, Smallmouth Bass, Perch, Musky, etc.

#13 ·
I did look at the site once a long time ago... I guess it just seems like such a niche area of the hobby that it would be hard to unload that type of livestock. I did see several baby alligators at RMS like 3-4 years ago. I just think that is bizarre.

Too me it seems almost unethical or irresponsible. Knowing how large something like that is going to get and that people commonly just turn them loose at a certain point. I think that probably very few people really keep any sort of "zoo" like conditions with a large enough habitat or inclosure.

Sorry to be a troll on this thread - I just think this is an interesting concept...

#14 ·
I did look at the site once a long time ago... I guess it just seems like such a niche area of the hobby that it would be hard to unload that type of livestock. I did see several baby alligators at RMS like 3-4 years ago. I just think that is bizarre.

Too me it seems almost unethical or irresponsible. Knowing how large something like that is going to get and that people commonly just turn them loose at a certain point. I think that probably very few people really keep any sort of "zoo" like conditions with a large enough habitat or inclosure.

Sorry to be a troll on this thread - I just think this is an interesting concept...
That is the problem with most pet stores.....they aren't concerned about the animal...only the profit. Pet stores sell hundreds of baby Iguanas every year with most buyers totally unaware of the large size they will eventually grow to. Same goes for fish, alligators, snakes, etc.

#23 ·
I realize this is an old thread but in case anyone is still keeping tabs on it, a great aquatic store in NE Ohio is Aquatica in Valley City/Strongsville area. They have tons and tons of tanks. Salt and freshwater. Not tons of plants or shrimp but they've got fish out the wazoo. Even some frogs and salamanders. Check em out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.