The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sand Blasting Stone

5K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  m00se 
#1 ·
Does Sand Blasting Stone come in black or dark gray? I've use number 1 and 3
size sand blasting stones , can get a 50lb bag for like $20. I had good luck with laying a layer of Latrite and capping it with a mix of both sands and grew everything ounce it aged .

#2 ·
A pretty common substrate is the coal slag blasting grit. usually something like 'black diamond', 'black beauty', 'black blast' or whatever. seems to work pretty well if you can find it at a supplier near you.

I don't know the grit sizes off hand, but I'm sure folks will drop in and let you know what works for them.

#5 ·
Check this out. http://www.dawson-macdonald.com/contact-information.html :smile:

Otherwise, Google sandblasting supply and look in your local yellowpages results as well. Make a few calls and I'm sure you can find what you are looking for.

I use Black Beauty blasting grit thanks to recommendations from here. It is primarily black with some green mixed in.

-Zach

#21 ·
I just picked up 3 bags for my 125. I started to wash the black diamond tonight, I could have skipped this step I think, but thought it was a good idea. It also very slow going with the washing.

I think 3 bags should be enough for my setup as I have 1.5 inches of miracle gro.

#25 ·
Must have been 10 years ago there were some posts on the net about Black Diamond having 2 issues. Both of them connected with the production of the stuff which results in bags with varying composition:

1. Sharp edges of the particles.
Cories cut their whiskers on them.

2. Toxic ingredients whose toxicity varies depending on the source of the material.

But these were old posts, 10 years ago. I'm sure now things are clean, organic and always low-fat :icon_smil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.