The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help ASAP.. No clue what this is

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MABJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I hate hate hate having to post a 'help' thread but I have no clue what this thing is, and I need to know ASAP.

I'm tearing down this tank, so I can rebuild it slowly and as I tore all the water lettuce off, these things started bouncing on the waters surface. They don't like being on the surface. They like crawling on the side of the tank.

I tried my very hardest to get decent pictures. Good luck.. And thanks in advance.

This is one that I could capture just about as clear as I could get it.

View attachment 57175

View attachment 57176

There are two in this shot.
View attachment 57177

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#4 ·
Were they originally living in the water lettuce?
I have no clue. I didn't see any when I cleaned it off and stuck it in. I don't even know if the DWL has anything to do wit it, I just noticed when all the floaters were gone.

It looks like a copepod out of water to be honest, but that's bigger than a copepod.

My first thought was lice, as when they're on the surface of the water, they jump to try to get to the side.

But they don't have the same body shape as live.

#3 ·
They're springtails. very cute critters that are completely harmless. They eat decaying vegetable matter.

Watch how they hop on the waters' surface. :)

#5 ·
Oh thank God. Thank you so much.

I've always been calm about critters in my tank, but when they start jumping at me, I get scared.

#9 ·
Welcome. :)

I've been growing orchids (and other houseplants) longer than most members of our cool gang have been alive.

I've had generations of those critters crawling amongst my plants for eons.

They are our friends. ;)

#10 ·
Well that's good to hear. Orchids are so beautiful :)

They all got disposed of, unintentionally, as the tank was being torn down to create a neat new aquascape!

I really appreciate it again.

#12 ·
Well I'm glad this could help someone else. They totally freaked me out lolz but it is nice you took a calmer approach!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.