The Planted Tank Forum banner

Critique the photo above you...

82K views 692 replies 159 participants last post by  D.Rodgers 
#1 ·
This is a spinoff off the Just Photos thread and I figured with the new threads for Nikon and Canon fans, as well as the threads constantly popping up asking how shooting better photos, it would be nice to have a thread to have your photos critiqued. There are some excellent photographers here including some pros, so perhaps if this thread gets rolling, we can get some good tips and tricks and critiques.

Here's the ground rules:

1. Don't be rude. Giver your opinion and offer some advise but don't be ignorant about it. If a picture is not good, say why but don't just say something like "This shot sucks."

2. Don't just post "Nice shot." Expand, say why you think it's nice, or not nice. Offer some advice on how to make it better, including shot setup, camera settings, post processing tips, ect.

3. If you comment on a shot, post up a shot of your own.

4. This is a critique thread. Don't get butt hurt if someone doesn't like your photo.

5. Doesn't have to be fish related but of course it needs to fall within what is acceptable for this site.

6. Lets not turn this into a Brand N vs. Brand C war. Really, there is no need to even post the make of the camera you are using however some info that would be useful would be the lens and camera settings. If you know them, post them. It can really help others help you.

7. Don't post your perfect shots all the time. This isn't an ego stroking thread. This is meant to possibly help shoot better photos. Maybe you have some shots that just aren't working. Post them up and see what help you might get to help improve them.

That's all I can think of. Hopefully this will take off and become a somewhat useful tool for people looking to get a little better at photography. Of course this isn't a photo site, but since people still seek help here and there are good photographers, why not. I would still encourage people to seek out some photography based sites though to get the most help and even check out some instructional books. Get one that is based on your camera and there are numerous books related to the different aspects of photography.

See less See more
#175 ·
Very nice engagement photo, sharp and crisp IQ, but my eyes keep getting drawn towards the distance, following the river towards the pink trees and the the building. I dunno, maybe if the picture was cropped a little on the right so there is a little more room on the left. I like how the ducks are in the photo as well, adds nice touch.... to bad they weren't swans! Now that's be something!

#177 ·
Awesome picture -- one of those pictures that is unique for its composition as well as its spur-of-the-moment subject(s). I personally think it would have made a slightly better photo to use a smaller aperture so that background weren't so blurred, but I know when shooting things that may only last a few seconds it's hard to remember :hihi:

Last night after washing dad's car:

#178 ·
Awesome picture -- one of those pictures that is unique for its composition as well as its spur-of-the-moment subject(s). I personally think it would have made a slightly better photo to use a smaller aperture so that background weren't so blurred, but I know when shooting things that may only last a few seconds it's hard to remember :hihi:
I would disagree, respectfully...just because it looks like the background could be distracting and you want the whole focus of the shot on the praying mantis. I feel that if the background doesn't add something to the subject of the photo, it's best to blur it.

#182 ·
Haha thanks. Yeah, we were washing it and he was like, "You htake so many good pictures but none of my cars." So I did a 35 minute sunset Bimmer shoot :hihi:

The starfish shot looks great. One thing that jumps out at me is how colorful the starfish is and how dull it makes the sand/coral around it look so dull. If I were you at that moment I probably would have tried to capitalize on this by stepping back a bit and showing how beautiful the colors contrast against the dullness of the seafloor around it. Doubt the starfish was fast enough to go anywhere :hihi:. Beautiful shot!

One more of the 650i:

I know it's centered, I know it's perfectly straight, I know it's cliche, but what could I have done to make it better? Car photography is something of a weak point for me :hihi:

#183 ·
One more of the 650i:

I know it's centered, I know it's perfectly straight, I know it's cliche, but what could I have done to make it better? Car photography is something of a weak point for me :hihi:
I actually like this picture, but you've pretty much nailed everything i was going to say about the picture. what you could have done better, was to take a picture of it from an angle we don't normally look at cars. also car pictures don't have to focus entirely on the car as a whole, but you can also chose a small aspect of it and focus on that ie. Rims, light, mirrors etc.

Here's an HRD picture I took at Ocean City, MD.

#186 ·
Erick, it works just fine in the center of the shot. Well if you want your signature to be the focal point. A watermark should be faint not at full strength. The idea of a watermark is to keep people from pilfering your images. Now if you mean you want to use it as your signature mark than that's fine. But it should be in the lower left or right. Not in the center. Again, unless that signature is your focal point.

#190 ·
Thanks!

Yeah you're right, its not so much a watermark, just a signature. But most regular people think of it as a "watermark", so I called it that. I was using that one as more of an advertisement, but I do have two presets, one in the center for ads or where the bottom left is blocked, and one in the bottom left for 99% of the images I'll add the signature to.

Erick as an ad, I love the image and where the logo is. If you are using it as a watermark move it to a less conspicuous spot. Awesome picture. The contrast of the entire image drives you to the two in-focus subjects and mutes the rest.

Zach: Those are incredible colors. Focus isnt perfect (mine seems to never be right when it matters) but awesome pic.

My image:
Thanks! I do admit, I like the picture a lot. I have a color version as well, but I think the black and white edit has so much more punch and impact like you mentioned.

I love the 2nd photo very much. What film did you use? However, I think the rocks in front are too much and take away the focus of the wall, which should be the main focus of this photo... Sorry, just my 2 cents

This is a photo I shot, handhelded with slow shutter speed

Very nice! I honestly can't find anything wrong with it, and if I could, I would mention it. But I see it as a great image :thumbsup:

Here's another one from the same E-session, the signature/watermark is in the center again, mostly because I want to use it for display/branding.

-

#187 ·
Erick as an ad, I love the image and where the logo is. If you are using it as a watermark move it to a less conspicuous spot. Awesome picture. The contrast of the entire image drives you to the two in-focus subjects and mutes the rest.

Zach: Those are incredible colors. Focus isnt perfect (mine seems to never be right when it matters) but awesome pic.

My image: Storm over Tucson

Attachments

#188 ·
I like the way the shot has the violence of the lightning topped with the very tranquil starry sky.

I shot 3 rolls of film walking up and down Scarborough Beach and have narrowed down those 72 to 10 that I really like. Here's some of them.

Attachments

#191 ·
You've got an eye for portrait photography, something I could never really grasp my hands around. The shot is great, the only thing is I can't see your watermark too well (especially Photography). I'd suggest moving it, maybe down and to the right so it's in the water

Here's one I did last week at work while concepting for new ideas

#193 ·
WOW, amazing product shot. The lighting is very nice. It punches the 3D effect for the box.

Just havin a little fun with these...

Long exposure of parking lot with moon (no HDR or retouching)

Lovely long exposure. And I am amazed by this photo not going through a retouch. I think it would look a lot better after a HDR post process!

My girlfriend, working (or facebooking, I don't know LOL) at the coffee shop

ID cafe by Tea.H, on Flickr

#203 ·
That photo is great! As always... JEALOUS. I just wish it was of something more interesting. Like a bird on the log.

Apple Blossom. I wish I had taken the photo following the rule of thirds more...

#205 ·
Since nobody critiqued my blossom photo, I figured I get this started again.

Pikes place market:

#206 ·
Well since you insist.

I see no real focal point here. My eyes kept wandering trying to see what the foto was about. Finally realized it was a flying fish. I think. Possibly. Maybe. I'm not sure.

Your apple blossom shot is pretty good but too much is in the shadows. I'd have tryed a little fill flash or actually used a reflector to block the light so it was a little more even. Also a larger aperture so that DOF would have been shallower.

#208 ·
As always, your photos look amazing. One thing I noticed. It looks like an owl was carved into the bark of the tree. Also. I will glady take your lunch money.

My camera was going NUTS at this point. I did a hard reset afterwards. Anyways, it came out with this cool photo. No editing done whatsoever. Just came out this way, unfortunately.

-Caton

#211 ·
Caton, of course there was editing. There hasn't been a digital picture taken that's hasn't been edited. Presumably you posted the jpeg straight out of your camera. If that's so then it was edited by whatever settings you chose when you set up the camera. If you didn't change the factory defaults then you think Nikon (or Canon) knows better than you as to what constitutes good color.

@Erick, so change the logo on the website so it is consistent. . That one should be a no brainer. Your not doing a total redesign. Just enlarging the font of one word. It's done all the time and no press release is necessary.

Caton, that is a pretty cool shot.

#214 ·
doncityz: I think it could be cropped more effectively to center on the fish.

Resized and cropped, saturation bumped up a tad, otherwise untouched.
The heck is that?!? Anyways, the only critique I have is to wait for less harsh sunlight, and to use the rule of thirds/dont place the subject smack in the middle of the frame. Nice plants though! (I think those are plants, lol!)

I posted an unedited version of this a while back... Can anyone tell where I retouched it?
I never saw the unedited version, but I'm going to guess you upped the saturation of the reds and a little contrast? Anyways, the picture is underexposed a little bit, but not a bad picture at all!

Here's one where I was setting the scene for a wedding...

#219 ·

Original Image only resized.
camera: Nikon - D5000
ISO:200
F-Number: f/8
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure: 1/80 sec

I am new to photography. advice and comments are welcome. I feel like the images of my previous camera Nikon D40 was better, my wife agrees with me. Please share.
Regards.

#221 ·
I like it! The people in black near the bottom remind me of the "crows" from Game of Thrones!
Here's a picture I took with the ex girlfriends canon at the arboretum- not too sure on the specs. Makes me wish I had a professional camera too :hihi:
Thanks. Your pic looks good, its hard to say it was taken from a point and shoot camera. Looks like the macro worked really well.:thumbsup:

I believe in photography 80% is skill and 20% depends on equipments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.