The Planted Tank Forum banner

Looking for X. variatus, locally...

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Tsartetra 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a good local source for X. variatus? Not the stubby-looking maculatus platy, but the longer, more elegant, variatus. I believe all the platy I have seen are macs... :help:

#2 ·
My local PetSmart sometimes carries something they call a variatus. They do look slimmer than the normal platies, but I don't think there's any chance that they aren't at least partially hybridized. You might try looking at one near you.

#3 ·
Yes, I realize there is no way of being certain they are pure variatus, I just like the look better than the squat macculatus.
It has been a while since I have been in a Petsmart...their switch to tubed 'live plants' really ticked me off. :angryfire
I'll give them a try.

#5 ·
Did you talk to the person in charge of the fish section? They may be able to order some, even if they weren't carrying them. (They have them listed on their website, so it seems like they would be available to order.) And since they're platies it seems they would still sell well, so it wouldn't be a crazy thing to ask them . . .

You might be able to call and ask to talk to someone, if it would be annoying to go back to the store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.