The Planted Tank Forum banner

reliable brand of PH and TDS meters?

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Aquaticz 
#1 ·
what's a reliable yet reasonably priced meter for PH and/or TDS

#14 ·
I use this one as well. Just got it a couple weeks ago, actually. I didn't get any calibration solution, but then again, I work in a Chemistry research lab, so I have access to Milli-Q water as well as stuff to make my own calibration solutions.
They come calibrated from the factory, but I never trust them. I read somewhere on this forum that a member's meter from the factory was over 50ppm off out of the box. If you are planning on being in the lower TDS range, you don't really need to get the 1000ppm calibration solution.

#5 ·
Somewhatshocked, are you talking about the light blue opaque plastic one or the darker blue with more translucent plastic. There is a few different "blue" models on Ebay, and most don't have a brand name with them. Thanks for the clarification, as I may be purchasing one soon.

#7 ·
I use a $15 meter off amazon. You should definitely invest in some calibration solution though no matter how expensive the meter is.

#10 ·
is this a good one and will the 1382 ppm solution be what I need for recalibration. Sorry I'm not familiar with these TDS meters. I know you can get other ppm solutions.

[Ebay Link Removed]

what?! link removed??? ok.... it's a HM TDS4 meter with 1382 solution for $21

#12 ·
do you still need to callibrate a TDS meter then? when you buy them do they come callibrated?

i do have a ph pen the cheap yellow ones on ebay but i never seemed to have much luck using it on my old shrimp tank as it never stayed stable it kept rising as the water moved round? i did callibrate it but in the end gave up

do you need to store them in a liquid as i also read that if you dont store them in a liquid then they stop working anyway?

im about to buy an R/O machine and guess a TDS meter would be needed really but not checked as i have been buying my RO in

sorry to hijack :icon_mrgr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.