The Planted Tank Forum banner

Official SunSun Pimp Club

103K views 493 replies 191 participants last post by  Patriot 
#1 ·
SunSun Filters are great bang for the buck. After my review and finding some folks here that have SunSun's, I think it is time for a SunSun pimp club.

To join please post here and put your this in your sig!

SunSun Pimp #(your number here). I will slowly update the original post to reflect this.

To discuss the SunSuns(don't bash them here, head over to the review/discussion in my sig for that!)

1. over_stocked

#425 ·
i have another question. i bought 'sunsun' hw-303b off ebay after watching a video on youtube warning about fakes i emailed the supplier 'shop4fish.com'. they told me sunsun was chinese made and sold by many different names in the U.S. he said mine was the 'SUPER' brand name is this the same thing or did i get ripped off??

#430 ·
Didn't aqua top take over making these sun sun canisters? I cant seem to find these filters anymore, only the media on e bay.
They are much rarer on e bay than I remember them being.

I have 5 of the aquatop filters. About to be 2 more on my 125gal. But all of mine are used with tanks that have pool filter sand substrate. Yes its after the media.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D
Im using play sand. Im assuming the mechanical media should still be able to keep it out of the impeller. Where did you get yours from?

#439 ·
I have 3 of these guys, and I hate to say it now but I wish I would have passed and just bought a eheim. There flow is not as good as they rate it, and now all 3 of mine are down after a year. 20$ for a eheim 2217 would have been

#440 ·
Sunsun Pimp #12 checking here. Have had mine running since 2010, and still kicking and filtering my tank like day 1. I have no complaints here. I even had a period of time where I didn't clean the filter for nearly a year due to a new job leaving no time for focusing on my tank. I'm finally getting back to it and still using my Sunsun filter.

Josh

#443 ·
What size do I need

Hello all you sunsun pimps, I have a question for you. I am in the process of acquiring all the hardware to setup a 55g I purchased from a lady in town. I have been reading this thread and have decided to try one of these filters. My question is what size sunsun do I need to run on this size tank? I am going with a high light high tech tank. It will have a 4 bulb t5 light so can run up to 216watts of light. I am also planning on pressurized co2 with an inline reactor, either a griggs or cerges type(havent decided yet). So, any input would be great and also what are your opinions on the uv version. Should I get it or not? Thanx and I look forward to joining your ranks soon.

#445 ·
Hello all you sunsun pimps, I have a question for you. I am in the process of acquiring all the hardware to setup a 55g I purchased from a lady in town. I have been reading this thread and have decided to try one of these filters. My question is what size sunsun do I need to run on this size tank? I am going with a high light high tech tank. It will have a 4 bulb t5 light so can run up to 216watts of light. I am also planning on pressurized co2 with an inline reactor, either a griggs or cerges type(havent decided yet). So, any input would be great and also what are your opinions on the uv version. Should I get it or not? Thanx and I look forward to joining your ranks soon.
I think th uv on most canisters is useless because of the limited contact time. You really need a sump or some other inline UV IMO. As for size, I have a 302 HW that is puportedly rated for up to a 100 gal. I am using it on a 29 gal. And I added a Koralia 425 to get more flow. I'd think you'd want to go up at least one size from the smallest one and maybe 2 especially if you are going to add a reactor. Just my 2 cents though.

#444 ·
Sink-tested mine today and it behaved as described:

- Priming from dry was effortless, the key being to slowly press the plunger.
- The pump is Dead Silent!

I will probably not have the aquarium set up until next weekend but this filter appears to be a good buy.

#450 ·
SunSun pimp #84 here! I have the 302 that's been running for a week so far. As everyone has mentioned, this thing is dead silent! My tank is crystal clear! I have one question though. It appears that this unit filters from the bottom up, what is the best order to place the media?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.