The Planted Tank Forum banner

What do you all store your ferts in?

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  anonapersona 
#1 ·
Sweetness. So I just got my ferts from Greg Watson, awesome guy to deal with BTW. The ferts I got were Potassium Sulfate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Nitrate, and the Platex micro ferts.

I was just wondering, but how do you all store your ferts? I'm not sure which route to take, as I've heard that if you store the fert solution for too long, it will go bad. I've also heard that you shouldn't store them in "open cell" plastic bottles, i.e. soda pop bottles, as bacteria will grow inside the spaces between the plastic. Is this all bull poop? Or should I really go for some medical grade glass jars?

#5 ·
aeternum23 said:
BTW, how do you usually dose?
I have a stock solution for KNO3, and use a 5ml pipet that came with some medication... 13 ml raise the NO3 in my tank by about 5 ppm.

K2SO4 I dose dry, there are those little plastic cups that come with nyquil etc that tell you how much a tsp is.

For anything else like Flourish I use the little 1 ml pipets that come with it...

#11 ·
Use anything as long it can be sealed. Try not to keep it too long or it will be as bad as rotting food. :)

#17 ·
I use baby medicine droppers, 1ml increments to 5 ml, just like a large eye dropper. Find them in the grocery store or maybe a Dollar store.

I store my solutions in glass vitamin jars, I keep the dry materials double bagged in a box under the sink, with a small plastic or glass jar to store maybe 1/4 cup of dry materials so I don't have to dig too deep to make a new solution.

I've begun adding some diluted muratic acid to see if I can keep the Plantex from getting some sort of snot-like stuff in it. Seems to work.

All my solutions are remixed about every month or two so they don't sit around too long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.