The Planted Tank Forum banner

Walstad 3 gallon Jar Photos to come

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Maechael 
#1 ·
I'm in the planning stages of starting a dirted 3G jar from work.

I'm thinking of putting in Rotala and Hornwort for starting plants, with Filter mulm for nutrients.

Basic layout, Few stems of each plant, Hornwort floating, Rotala Planted
into about 1 1/2-2 1/2 inches of Plain old soil, As in I would literally be using a shovel to grab stuff outside, and capping it with a thin layer of some extra pool filter sand I've got, maybe 3/4's of an inch to a full inch sand cap.

I've been toying with the idea of using Ghost shrimp in it, since it would be my First attempt at both the Walstad method, and a dirted, plant oriented tank.

Oh and lighting will be window sill, with maybe 3-4 hours a day of low par CFL 13W.

Wish me Luck.

#5 ·
I will defintly be posting pictures. I plan on doing a rack using table bussing totes. Each tote would have a species of shrimp or fish and deli cups with plants to grow out in. But 1 species of plant and animal per tote.

Then in a year we plan on buying a house I will be able to add more racks.

I want to focus on things like Celestial Pear Danios, Gertrude Rainbowfish, RCS, Neocardian color var., and Rareish plants.

#6 ·
Minor update.

Well I got the first 3 gallon Jar today, and I think the next thaw I'll grab some dirt for it, and it will be run in comparison.

3 jars, with 3 different substrate options to check out, Standard yard dirt, Miracle grow, and a half and half mixture.

This will take time, but yeah I'm really hoping I can get this to work.

Also, I'll be setting pictures up as soon as I can clear all 3 bottles and fill them.

#9 ·
as for pics

Right now, I only have one jar, and it's empty.

I'll post up pics of all 3 jars when they're ready to start.

I think I'll make them into full project bowls, seeing what is possible with them and such.

I'll probably use this thread as a journal of sorts, that is once I actually get to start them.

Sadly it will probably take about a week to get the other 2 jars, then just waiting for the thaw.

#10 ·
Ok, So I've come to the decision that Financially it's not prudent to start a new setup, let alone 3.

So I think that in the not too distant future I'll probably start buying individual components for the setup.

Till then, I'm thinking that I'll try and visualize happy, healthy plants, and shrimp for these jars.

Early Mental image, 2-3 Rotala Rotundifolia stems, 1 or 2 Cryptocoryne Parva and some loose stems of Hornwort. Thinking rotala in the middle, crypts around it and hornwort on top.

Maybe some air stones for agitation and slight water movement.

10 or so Ghosties per jar.

#11 ·
As of tomorrow or tonight I will have all 3 jars required for this experiment.

I will start playing around with placement of any equipment, and all possible flora and fauna.

Should get pictures of this up by this time next week.

Considering putting them on the porch enclosure when the weather warms.

#13 ·
Ok so this entire thread is being reset.

I've got about 8 of the Jars from my place of employment, They're closer to 1.5 gallons not 3 like I'd imagined.

I've been playing with ideas for them and such Think I've settled on doing various types of plants in them with maybe some snails and Ghost shrimp.

Really considering making some micro sponge filters to go in them as well, and using ceramic bio media to help in breakdown of biological detritus.

Let me know any thoughts or opinions here, Open to suggestions for these jars.

#15 ·
Setup 2 jars last night, with the 1 I've constantly had running and another planned for tomorrow. All of them have different substrates, levels, plants.

And that's not even counting the 2 with just duckweed haha.

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow, I have to start getting better about Photologging my attempts.

#17 ·
Me too, sadly I've only got my crappy phone to do so with, I'm thinking tomorrow, when the light hits them right I'll take a ton of Pics, and hope that a handful come out nice.

I'm currently at 6 jars, and one of those I made yesterday for a friend.
These are handy for windowsill plant growouts, as long as fauna less, but ok for certain Shrimp if under more temp and light regulations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.