The Planted Tank Forum banner

My ongoing battle.......PLEASE HELP ME! ;-(

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  n00dl3 
#1 ·
I have had this tank since 2008. It is a 70g corner bow. It has eco complete and cichlid sand (for contrast) as substrate. When I originally set up I spread floradepot under the substrate. while I had great growth from my plants in the beginning, I always had an algae problem. Originally I attributed it to having too much light and not dosing or using CO2. I purchased dry ferts, started using CO2 and raised my lights while cutting bulbs. Still had algae!
Finantial times changed and I wanted to go simpler. I stopped dosing CO2 and dry ferts. I purchased root tabs and put my light down to 1 bulb for 10 hrs/day.
I still have algae! its been the same no matter what conditions are in the tank........ its completely frusterating!
First what is it.....I say a clado. Second how do I get rid of it? I pull it out and it comes right back!
Oh and it doesnt get any taller than what is shown......

See less See more
#7 ·
70g

4 bags Eco complete-planted black
1 bag Eco complete cichlid sand(black/white)

Under the substrate I used
Sera Floredepot 2.4kg

For lighting I am using
AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Light Fixture

2 54w T5 HO 10,000k
1 54w T5 HO 10k/daylight slimpak
1 54w T5 HO 6500k

ONLY RUNNING 1 BULB

Currently for ferts I am ROOT TABS

#8 ·
Looks like hair, fuzz, AND clado.

Once algae is this well established, simply changing the tank setup and parameters usually won't make it go away on its own.

And clado is a special case - it likes the exact same conditions as plants, can't be avoided by changing parameters at all, and is resistant to H2O2 and Excel. Which really complicates things.

Furthermore, even with one bulb, it's possible you still have sufficient light that some carbon source is required, like from Excel. Or Metricide, which is more expensive up front, but much cheaper in the long run. And of course, it has algicidal properties when overdosed.

I can't comment on the root tabs, but others might be able to; provided you say what kind and how many.

I don't think I've ever suggested sterilizing a tank and starting from scratch, but here I would consider it. It will be one heck of a fight beating this algae, perhaps more than your finances or patience will allow; though if you do, at least you will learn something in the process. You'll have to correct all your tank parameters, then get rid of the algae through a combination of physical removal, chemical treatments (like my combo treatment), maybe even AlgaeFix too.

#9 · (Edited)
I think I am just gonna have to start over then. I have been think about it for awhile now. and honestly it makes me have anxiety thinking about it! :icon_sad:

Should I discard all the plants as well? The driftwood is going for sure as it was pulled from the tank last August and I just scrubbed the bone dry wood and added back.....within 3 weeks all the old algae came back! :icon_mad:

Its so frustrating and disappointing at the same time....... If I didnt love this tank so much(corner bow) I would just take it down for good.....

thanks for the information and links provided. I will have to remember to start a new journal when I start over.

PS DONT EVER PUT MARIMO IN YOUR TANK UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT MAY HAPPEN WHEN YOU DO, I DIDNT AND IT HAS LED TO SO MUCH FRUSTRATION!

My first Marimo ball shortly after adding it to the tank in 2008........

#10 ·
What is your filter? Do you have power head in the tank? I'm leaning toward your flow in the tank is low.

As for your photo period, I wouldn't exceed 8 hours until you really master co2, fert, light, and flow.

The tank can be saved but it will required a lot of work especially for low tech tank. It might be best as DarkCobra mention above to restart the tank.

If you want want to try to save it. I would follow DarkCobra's thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684

#11 ·
What is your filter? Do you have power head in the tank? I'm leaning toward your flow in the tank is low.

As for your photo period, I wouldn't exceed 8 hours until you really master co2, fert, light, and flow.
I have a fluval 305 AND I also have 3 water circulators.
Aqueon® Circulation Pump 500

Aqueon® Circulation Pump 700

Aqueon® Circulation Pump 1250

currently just the filter and the 700 are running. Anymore and my angels become stressed.

#13 ·
I have a fluval 305 AND I also have 3 water circulators.
Aqueon® Circulation Pump 500

Aqueon® Circulation Pump 700

Aqueon® Circulation Pump 1250

currently just the filter and the 700 are running. Anymore and my angels become stressed.
Hmmm... currently you have over 13x turnover which has plenty of flow. But I don't think your flow is distributed evenly. Does ALL your plants sway. Not just the top the plants but lower leaves should be moving too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.