The Planted Tank Forum banner

Micro Zen Garden

30K views 79 replies 24 participants last post by  megumz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I've been contemplating this tank in my head for a while.. Just a really peaceful low light, low tech setup.

I picked this tank up during a sale on wag.com, and I got it for a good price.

.5g Acrylic Marina tank.

I like this little cube for a lot of reasons, including its background, (after removing the ugly pictures) its size and its half top. Not only that, but it has a very unique shape, allowing you to hang it on the wall or just leave it around.

Regardless of all those possibilities, I'm just planning on setting it up slow and nice. As with many of my other tanks, I like mosses and will probably utilize them alone, unless someone can think up something better.

Obviously with something this small, you're limited on how you can scape it.. But I will be trying to find something dynamic and beautiful.

The most important part of this tank.. Is it is a gift for my girlfriend of two years who is graduating college this semester, and will be spending chunks of time without seeing me. So it must be good.

I look forward to your suggestions and help

View attachment 69897

I just started brainstorming and that is what came to me.

I still need a method of light and a way to cut the plastic top that won't destroy the 3 sides I want to keep.

See less See more
#33 ·
Really. Well thanks for that information! Hmm I'll be still shopping, as wood is still sinking. But I think I'm going to get it.

This won't be a spot light so much as illuminating the whole tank lol.

#37 ·
Since the kind kick in the butt, I rearranged and finished the lid for this.

The logs only just sank, so they're still a little buoyant. I'll take a picture soon. I also purchased this light. Amazon.com: Solar Flare Micro Gooseneck 6700k Led Light: Pet Supplies
I'm super happy I found it. It *SHOULD* be perfect for this little tank.

I've put a few mosses in here, but not so many my girlfriend needs to worry about trimming.

#67 ·
Since the kind kick in the butt, I rearranged and finished the lid for this.

The logs only just sank, so they're still a little buoyant. I'll take a picture soon. I also purchased this light. Amazon.com: Solar Flare Micro Gooseneck 6700k Led Light: Pet Supplies
I'm super happy I found it. It *SHOULD* be perfect for this little tank.

I've put a few mosses in here, but not so many my girlfriend needs to worry about trimming.
i'm a little late to this party, but i'm glad i read through the thread. my LFS has several solar flare fixtures, and i've been eyeing them and wondering. I never seem to remember to look them up at home after i've left, though!

that is a nice looking light, on a nice looking tank. My wife seems to be OK with me buying a large tank (in fact we had a conversation about turing a non support wall into a big tank) but i really think i'm falling in love with nano tanks. :icon_redf

#39 ·
Thanks! Before I popped on it I looked up what reviews I could find. I found one, and he had your same worry. It worked out for him though.

I tried several clip on/clamp lights. They were either too big or the clamp wouldn't fit. This seems like a great compromise.

#41 · (Edited)
#45 ·
This is actually a Fluval Spec light. I Jerry rigged it to get it to stay over the tank for now until the other light gets here. It should be a little brighter than this one.

#46 ·
Now I have a good answer when I hear, "What do they need all of that space for?" I'm out of room, but will have to find a spot for something like this.

#56 ·
The scale of the little micro tank is great. Is that a filter in the back of it? Hagen Mini Elite without the airline? I use one of those in my daughter's 5 gallon for her betta. How do you think it would do with sand in a small tank like this one? Seriously considering one now after seeing how the light looks on yours.

#57 ·
It really does complete the tank. Yeah I didn't exactly know the function of the air tube, so I took it out.

The tank is so easily scaped lol.

I actually was going to try sand but decided against the trouble. I think it is worth a shot. Just have a backup plan.

#58 ·
The air tube theoretically pulls air down into the tank because of the lower pressure caused by the movement of water from the filter - since there is no surface movement from the filter itself. I have the thing so heavily baffled in the betta's tank that the airline is probably useless, but I left it anyway.

#59 ·
I suppose I could readd it. I thought it kinda ruined the look.

So all in all, I spent about 10 on the tank 8 on the filter and 16 on the light.

The wood was spare wood from an order, the FSS was spare, the moss was something I was about to throw away and the shrimp were culls.

Not to make it sound less special, but I did have a goal and purpose of making a nice tank for my girlfriend, and I did. She really loves it!

$34 on a tank, not bad.

#61 ·
Haha thank you very much!

I'll be breaking my style soon on an ADA tank.

I can't wait till it gets bushy.

The biggest piece of wood still has air logged in it, so it is light in the water, if that makes sense. I'm waiting on it to officially sink.

Thanks for looking and the compliments :D

#62 ·
I'm creating my style, I think. I'm actually pretty much starting over, now that I've learned so much on this forum suddenly my old tanks and equipment seem inferior. I'm selling off everything and starting fresh with my DBP 18" tank. We should get that Pimp club started if possible as you mentioned in a post somewhere I read. I love Nano tanks, and can't wait to see it come together. It will be a slow, anxious process. I think I'm going to go ahead and at least toss in my substrate and let it start cycling. I'll start a journal tonight.

#64 ·
Definitely, definitely keep me posted.

I'll get to making the pimp club! I'll ask somewhatshocked if he'll be pimp #1 since his pictures inspired me to get it.

I developed into realizing there is are fine lines between expensive, too expensive and good quality.

I only learned it about two years ago, but since then I've been trying to buy the most valuable things that are worth their weight in their utility value.

Aqua scaping materials are my favorite to drop big bucks on lol. The better materials you have to work with, the better head start you have to looking awesome.

#66 ·
Let's do the pimp club for sure. Jake is the man, bringing these tanks to us in full force. Your build was/is awesome, I've seen several others. I want in early on the list, #3 would be cool. I'm hoping to take mine slow and make it epic! Thanks pal, keep it up

the addiction continues...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.