The Planted Tank Forum banner

making frozen dirt cubes

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  psalm18.2 
#1 ·
THis might be odd but I'm going to be redoing the whole tank later next year. For now I'm trying to get a little better nutrients into the substrate without going crazy with fert tabs that I've had limited sucess with. I was wondering about making a thick mud out of a soil and then freezing it into cubs, then pressing some into the bottom of the gravel.

anyone see problems with that?

Also, do i just need an organic potting soil?

Thanks.:)

#7 ·
Do you use these just like root tabs?

How many would you use at once in a 38 Gallon?

I'm excited these look much more reasonably priced then root tabs!
Would not use more than three. As they release fertz,some will find it's way into water column but this does no harm unless you use too many.
I normally place one at base of rooted plant's like sword,crypt's.

#10 ·
Would maybe use Seachem's flourish comprehensive along with the Pot shot's for a while and see how plant's do over a few week's.
If more fertz are needed, such as with high energy tank's with CO2 being injected or supplemented, then I would look to dry fertilizer's rather than spend money on more expensive liquid fertz that are perhap's largely water.

#11 ·
Some might say I'm crazy but I've never had much luck with the Seachem products. I'm using up the last bottle of Flourish I've got just to get rid of it. The best luck I've had with fertilizers (and I haven't tried a lot or great substrates before) was the tetra Flora Pride they sell at petco. Always seemed to have really strong and colorful plants when i was consistently using that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.