The Planted Tank Forum banner

Purchased used Eheim filter and have questions

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  gregor 
#1 ·
Hi,

I purchased the following filter second hand:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/eheim-ecco-pro-2234-canister-filter-media-60-gal

...and I'm missing the bottom layer of plastic(?) filtration media shaped like cylinders, and the layer of little rock looking things in the layer above that (biological?).

I think I've identified what they are:

Bottom cylinder layer:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/ehfimech-1l

Layer above that:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/ehfisubstrat-pro-1l

So my questions:

1. Do I have the right products?
  2. Are there any cheaper alternatives that I can use to replace the official Eheim stuff? (hopefully)
  3. In what amounts should I puchase for my particular filter?
The user manual is quite unhelpful for this matter. It assumed I already have this stuff and doesn't give any details.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
You can use any ceramic ring media you like. Doesn't have to be expensive Eheim stuff, though I use it and enjoy it. The kind of media you use is up to your personal taste. Many like ceramic rings, sponges, crushed lava rock, pot scrubbers, filter floss, etc.

Purchase the amount listed in the filter specification/documentation listed on Eheim's website for your particular filter. Typically listed in volume.

#6 ·
The problem for me, without any experience in canister filters, is that "using whatever media I like" is meaningless to me. I don't have a base of knowledge here to start from. Thanks anyhow though.

The only guide on eheim.com I can find is the one I link to in the OP. Seems like they just stole the graphic.

For example, I use about 2 inches of ceramic rings in my 2213, then a blue coarse filter pad followed by substrat-pro for the remainder of the volume. I use this on a tank without much solid waste and it works just fine. (Main purpose being biological filtration.)
Hmm, OK.

So as far as their scrub sponges go, could they replace both layers I described in the OP? It seems like that would work from what I'm reading.

Bascially, it looks like from here:

http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/guide/freshwater/how-filtration-works#

I need something to replace the mechanical and biological layers. I'm guessing I can use the scrubbie sponge to at least replace the mechanical.

#10 ·
What you linked is what comes with the filter. In terms of using something else, I can't see how Eheim ceramic rings could be better than another brand so if I ever replaced mine, I would personally just buy a different brand. Nothing is wrong with buying the Eheim brand, the point is you really get the same from any brand.

I have always just setup my filters how they are advertised, minus the carbon. Well, I will use carbon if it comes with the filter and take it out on first cleaning and not replace it. Other than that, the only media I have added is Purigen by Seachem.

#11 ·
Eheim's sites is seriously the worst ever.

Clicking on the FAQ link here, for example, goes to a 404. Clicking on the link for the manual or FAQ on the product page goes to a 404. Terrible.

What you linked is what comes with the filter. In terms of using something else, I can't see how Eheim ceramic rings could be better than another brand so if I ever replaced mine, I would personally just buy a different brand. Nothing is wrong with buying the Eheim brand, the point is you really get the same from any brand.

I have always just setup my filters how they are advertised, minus the carbon. Well, I will use carbon if it comes with the filter and take it out on first cleaning and not replace it. Other than that, the only media I have added is Purigen by Seachem.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm bascially just trying to avoid paying Eheim's premium.

#15 ·
gregor: Some of the options I mentioned: ceramic rings (any brand), sponges, crushed lava rock, pot scrubbers, filter floss.

Matrix is great if you can find it on sale.

Most of my tanks are setup with ceramic rings, the Eheim stuff or matrix, then sponges, then polishing stuff like filter floss or pads and finally a pillow or two of Purigen.

#16 ·
Awesome, thanks. I think I'm going to order some Fluval Pre_Filter stuff for the mechanical stage:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZXZEU

...then pick up cheap pot scrubbers for the biological stage.

On top of that I have the white (fine?) filter pad that Eheim makes for my filter and the little black carbon pad sits atop that.

However, I still can't find a single document on Eheim's site, or in the user manual, which states exactly how much volume I have available for media in each section of the filter.

#17 ·
Honestly, you're better off buying more media than you need. If you have too much, you can always sell it on the forum, trade it for plants or even keep it in a filter media bag stashed behind something inside your tank for when a friend wants a bacterial jumpstart when cycling a new tank.

Important note: When I say "friend"? I mean you. For when you eventually develop a serious case of Multiple Tank Syndrome after spending some time here on the forum. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.