The Planted Tank Forum banner

Industrial style vivarium

6K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Nobody 
#1 ·
I have been away from the forum for a while, but I wanted to share some pics of my latest build. I like to call it my "steam punk tank", because it was inspired by the steam punk movement. It fascinates me, but some design changes took the true steam punk nature out of the equation, so I am going with industrial themed. Lol

I haven't decided on inhabitants yet, but I will on Sunday when I go to the White Plains Reptile Expo. Surely, there will be something there I like :) here are the pics, hope you enjoy :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks!! I had planned on some gears, but couldn't find any Victorian era ones that were economical enough to clear coat and place in there. The ones I found were ridiculously priced. I still have to build an air circulation system for it, but I'm in no rush, any frogs I get for it will be quarantined for at least 30 days, so I have time. :)

#15 ·
I picked up the permanent residents for the tank on Sunday. 4 mantella baroni. I let them have a quick tour in the tank while I set their qt tank up. Then spent an hour catching them again to go into qt. I HATE seeing frogs in those little deli cups, but also know it's a necessity for shows.

#19 ·
Thank you :) I qt all frogs, no matter who or where they came from. It's a crucial step a lot of people bypass. It allows for me to evaluate their health condition easier. In a minimal tank with paper towel instead of substrate, I can observe if the frogs are eating, and how much they eat. I can also easily see if they are defecating, how much and the condition of the feces. I can also observe their overall physical condition. Do they move normally? Is one sluggish? Are any legs doing strange things, like twitching? That sort of thing. If they are in a live enclosure, you miss out on these things, especially if they are reclusive frogs. And since most frogs are lost within the first 30 days of purchase, it just makes good sense. :)

#20 ·
Oh, and no, it will be just this species frogs. I never mix species. It's a personal choice, not because everyone says not to. I like watching the natural behaviors of the frogs, and you tend to lose some of that when they are stressed by other animals in the tank.

#24 ·
Maintenance is a breeze. I most daily, the fogger keeps humidity where it needs to be. I do a monthly 50% water change, but when the frogs go in permanently, I'll do 50% every other week. Any decal waste is eaten up by the microfauna in the tank (springtails and Isopods)

Rule of thumb is 10 gallons/frog, but I think that is silly, especially when it comes to terrestrial or semi aquatic species. If I have a tank that is 36x18x18, like this one, that's 40 gallons. Going by the 10 gallon rule gives me 4 frogs (obviously), but if I go to a 36x18x24h, that gives me 60 gallons, but the same footprint. But according to the rule of thumb, I can hold 6. But the footprint never changed. If it's a terrestrial species, their livable space never changed and you just over crowded the tank.

I just use common sense. I research the heck out of the species I am going to keep in the tank and I work it out from there. Some frogs may be small, like these guys, but they need a lot of territory. New world darts are the same in that respect.

Hope that wasn't TOO confusing lol

#27 ·
Wow, that is really cool! Since you are clearly an expert, may I humbly ask a little more about your construction techniques? Is that "Great Stuf" foam, sculpted and painted for the walls? Also, is the tank sealed well around the top to prevent fruit fly escape?

I am pondering a paladarium build for dart frogs. I am a long experienced amateur herpetologist but I am a real novice when it comes to these little jewels. I was going to get some at last Saturday's NH Reptile Expo but I'm glad I didn't. I want to learn more about culturing flies and Dendrobates care before I jump in so to speak. Now I have the summer to execute my build.

#28 ·
That is indeed great stuff, covered in Restore concrete refinisher that I tinted with acrylic craft paint.

The top had the original screen removed and i siliconed plexi glass in it's place. I didn't do anything other than that and I don't have any issues with escapees. The best way to avoid that is don't over feed. If there aren't extras running around in the tank, they can't get out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.