The Planted Tank Forum banner

How to prep Cholla wood for shrimp tank?

63K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  randyl 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just got a few pieces of cholla wood from ryantube (thanks!). I looked around and there isn't much information about what to do with it before putting it in the tank.

Should i soak it in a bucket for about a week then boil it for an hour like normal driftwood?

Or should i just wash it and stick it into the tank?

can i tie moss to it like normal as well? or dry start fissiden onto it?

#3 ·
I don't do anything to the cholla woods. Just put it in your tank until it sinks down by itself. Because the tannins itself is beneficial to shrimp.

If you don't like the way it looks floating on your tank, you can get a container and let it float till it sink there, then transfer to your tank make a pyramid out of it, etc.

#4 ·
Cholla wood prep

I choose to boil mine for about 5 minutes - just as a safety precaution. After boiling, I then put it in cold water to cool it off. After that, I put it in the tank. There must be something that boiling does to it, because when it is cooled and goes into the tank, the shrimp just pile on to it - like 30+ at a time. They just swarm it.

The reason I started this regiment was I went through a nymph episode in my 33L tank. Luckily, it was just one critter, and at the time I had no idea at all what it was. I saw it attack one of my shrimps, so I quickly got the net and scooped it out. This was probably a year ago or so now. It wasn't until a few weeks ago and reading about other people's experiences that I realized what it was that I had back then.

Anyway, the closest thing I could attribute the nymph to at the time was some cholla wood that I had added, and so as a precaution from then on, I started boiling it before adding it to my tank.

#7 ·
Just glue different types of moss (weeping, willow, phoenix, ... etc) onto a few piece of cholla wood, they were soaked for 1 month now (not that they need to be soaked that long). Now I super glue the moss on, I'd put them in a bucket with water for a day or two before putting them in the tank. I know super glue is safe, but I think what I do is safe too.

#10 ·
Yup, boiling is what I do with all wood, IAL, and alder cones, just in case the critters on them are harmful.

For the latter two, you don't have to boil them long if you want to keep the tannins. I don't depend on the cholla wood tannins. i want to nuke the wood so there is no danger of anything bad absorbed in the wood

#11 ·
Depending on the size of the Cholla wood, the small diameter (>1") bout 6 inch long ones I just drop them in. I have a large one in my 20 Gallon long that I boiled for bout 12 hrs total with 3 or 4 water changes due to buoyancy and the excessive tannins. As for plants I tied peacock moss onto the large one and tied Anubias nana petite to other pieces.

#12 ·
I created java moss and marimo ball trees. I keep my cholla wood straight up and tie a wad of java moss on time. As it grows out, it looks like a tree. Or you can cut a hole on the bottom of a marimo ball and put it on the end of a cholla would like a hat. Tie it too. After a while, the marimo ball also grows.

Put them all together as a group of 3-4 throughout the tank, and you get cholla wood trees with moss and marimo as the top's. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.