The Planted Tank Forum banner

help with DIY racks

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  GraphicGr8s 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to build some racks to hold 2 55 gallon tanks and possibly a row of 10 gallons from measuring I'll have 84 inches total available.

I'm thinking of putting the 4 10's across the bottom 5 inches from the floor. then 5 inches free space, then the next support for the 1st 55
then 10 inches free space, then the next 55 with 13 inches between it and the ceiling.

I'm thinking build the racks to hold the 55's centered on 2x4 rails and either build the bottome shelf out with 2x4s screwed into the others, or a piece of plywood that'll give me the 20inch depth I need for the bottom shelf.

does this make sense or should I just build a totally separate rack for the 10's and give my self more room between the 55's??

#5 ·
5" isn't enough room. And stacking 2 55s above a row of 10s is asking for trouble. It's too high to comfortably work on the tanks.

#11 ·
I've rebuilt many racks because I didn't initially give myself enough space. I now go no higher than 2 tanks high, even with small tanks. Going in and out with nets, hoses, filters, and everything else calls for at least 12 inches clearance above the top of my tanks. Everyone is different, but the more space you leave yourself the less you will want to rebuild them later.

#16 ·
Shift, you're counting on the fasteners to hold the weight. Worlks on small tanks but I'd never trust them on anything over 10s. My breeder racks I used all lap joints. It literally can stand without fasteners. Won't hold weight but will stay together without screws or nails

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.