The Planted Tank Forum banner

Carnivorous plant thread! Post your pics here!

10K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  Monster Fish 
#1 · (Edited)
Why should all the orchidophiles have all the fun? ;)
Who cares about pretty flowers that open once or twice a year when you've got plants that eat bugs all the time? :biggrin:

I'll start off with some from my own collection:

Heliamphora heterodoxa

Heliamphora purpurescens

Drosera cadauca

from the left: Heliamphora sarraceinioides, sp. "akopan", purpurascens, collina, and heterodoxa

Utricularia asplundii

Pinguicula cyclosecta

Nepenthes platychila

Heliamphora sarraceinioides

Drosera adelae

Dionaea muscipula

Heliamphora sp "akopan"

Heliamphora minor x heterodoxa

Nepenthes jacquelineae

Nepenthes tenuis

Drosera lanata

Drosera falconeri

Utricularia graminifolia

that's all for now. please share your own!

See less See more
#10 ·
My turn. Here's some of my Sarracenia from earlier in the growing season. All grown outdoors.

S. x mooreana

Sarracenia "Copper Vase"

S. "Daina's Delight"

S. flava var. maxima

S. x [(Rubra x Oreophila) x (Oreophila x Flava)]

S. 'Dixie Lace'

S. x mooreana - Autumn pitchers

Group Shot

S. alata v. nigropurpurea 'Night' F2 - I got this plant before Hurricane Sandy hit and I was brave (stupid) enough to pot it during the hurricane.

S. leucophylla

S. x "Daina's Delight" & Flava var. Maxima

S. x "Extreme Green" - This one is an Oreophila x Flava maxima hybrid but unlike my other Oreo x Flava cross, this plant was shooting up most of it's first pitchers late summer/early fall.

Anyways, I use tap water for my plants since the TDS never gets above 50 ppm.

#13 ·
I'm starting to feel the same way. I started rehabbing Mark-Down table Orchids I find at Home Depot last summer. I'm slowly replacing house plants with them. I can see how some of these Carnivores would fit in well. I just need to identify the ones that will do well indoors over winter with the light I can offer and the low humidity.

#12 ·
Oh guys! Your plants are all gorgeous! I miss carnivorous plants, the house where I spent the first 23 years of my life had wild pitcher plants in the yard, I use to feed them Mwhahaha. I also fed the antlions lol. Are there any good sources online to buy some? I've never found any for sale in the las Vegas valley.

#18 ·
Multiple kinds. I only started keeping sarrs recently and this was the first year my sarrs bloomed. Most of the seeds I got were from an open pollinated Flava rugelli x oreo (forgot what I crossed it with), some Alata x Mooreana, and random crosses from my own sarrs and from Ebay. I started with about 100 seeds each both the Flava X Oreo cross and the Alata x Mooreana cross but only ended up with about a 30% germination rate after doing a 5 week cold stratification. I was thinking about using GA3 to quick stratify the seeds next time I do some crosses/purchase seeds from eBay.

#19 ·
Man, I've been getting into this as well, but not the way you all have. I just have a couple of plants in my dorm, but its getting cold so I hope I can get everything to get through the winter okay.

#21 ·
I have a venus flytap varient of some sort, Sarr. purpurea, N. "ventrata", and two Sarr. pitcher plants that I have as of yet not ID (though they were doing terribly so it won't be until spring that they will recover, they lost all of their pitchers)

Eventually, I want some other flytrap varieties, more Nepenthes, sundews, and basically whatever else I can get my hands on.

#25 ·
Grow indoors. southern exposure, as much light as possible. contrary to popular belief. sufficient light is necessary for pitchers to develop. humidity controls the size of the pitchers, but light makes them happen. :)

if you are giving the Nep enough light, at least 12-14 hrs, and it's still not pitchering, your media might be in question. Neps in general appreciate an airy media made up of orchid bark, long fibered sphagnum (orchid moss), and perlite/pumice (styrofoam, non biodegradable, may be used as a substitute). media should be damp but not soaking wet.

#28 ·
Other than venus flytraps, the only carnivorous plants that move are sundews but not at the speed of a snapping venus flytrap. Some sundew tentacles will curl around trapped prey but this is done slowly. Most carnivorous plants have passive means of capturing food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.