The Planted Tank Forum banner

Just built a DIY LED Controller

9K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  jcgd 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,

I found plans for this neat little DIY led controller a while ago on another forum, so I modified it a bit and cranked out a couple of examples. It's based on the Arduino UNO micro-controller, so it shares a lot of the same hardware and is programmed using the Arduino IDE. This controller is set up to provide 4 PWM outputs that can be programmed to run independent of each other. Each channel can be set for different on/off times, led intensity, and fade duration. It features an onscreen menu and 4 input buttons for menu navigation. I built this particular version of the controller with 5 volt outputs only. since my custom built CAT4101 driver boards only require 5 volts to operate. I also used mostly SMD components for it's construction to save board space and to provide a challenge to myself, (I had to learn how to solder using hot air for this project) I'll probably produce another 10v version that will be directly compatible with the popular MeanWell ELN series led drivers since a few people have already asked for one. Here's a picture of the controller - Let me know what ya'll think. I can post the Board files, bill of materials, and the firmware, If anyone wants to create one of these for themselves.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Redesigning the printed circuit board took the most time. Once that was done, the actual assembly was pretty easy. I'm working on a 10 version for the Meanwells right now and I'll post the Eagle files and BOM when it's done.:biggrin:

#10 ·
I know. I'd eventually like to build a DIY driver too. To get Meanwells with the full XM-L drive current capability, they trade off the total voltage to supply more drive current and not exceed the same unit wattage limitations. Just wishing for a way to fully push the XM-Ls without having to buy 4 Meanwell drivers.
[/off topic]

I look forward to seeing how you've designed your controller PCB and the parts layout.

#12 ·
That's easier to do than you think. The OnSemi Cat4101 constant current driver Ic's that I use in my drivers can be paralleled together to to produce as many amps as you want. Each Ic can sink up to 1 amp, so all you would need is 3 Ic's on each string to drive 6-7 Cree XM-L's in series. The only other hardware that would be needed is an adjustable 24 volt supply with a high enough current rating.I am currently using the same strategy to drive a couple of big bridgelux 50 watters right now. I can draw up a schematic if you want one:wink:

#13 ·
I just finished the PCB design for a MeanWell compatible version. I'll put in an order for 10 boards if there's enough interest or just provide the Eagle files for anyone who wants them. Here's a screen shot of the new design. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

#17 ·
Ok, so there are some interested parties. I'm going to take that latest design "back to the drawing-board" for a good reason. It's compatible with the MeanWell ELN "P" series already. I'd like to add an on board option to make it compatible with the ELN "D" series too. This feat shouldn't very difficult, I think the addition of a crude digital to analog convertor circuit could do the trick. Does any one know if I'm on the right track? yes/no?

#21 ·
The cool thing is - you don't have to learn ARDUINO. the controller is already programmed and ready to run. All you need are fingers or a pointy stub to press the buttons.

#24 ·
It should come in under the $50 dollar mark. I'm working on a spread sheet with the bill of materials and links to all the parts right now. I'll post it up in the near future.

#26 ·
Well I'm still working on the "D" version. It seems to be a little more difficult to change a 10 volt PWM signal back into a linear voltage- than first thought. I've found some information that indicates that an OP Amp circuit can be used to do it, but being that I no longer own a oscilloscope, it will be tough for me to verify. I'm not giving up- It's just going take a little more time to figure out.:icon_mrgr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.