The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - revisiting green water
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2003, 10:53 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Call it a nutrient imbalance, a chemical imbalance , or even a lighting problem... who knows for sure...

My personal experiences lead me to believe that it is always a bacterial issue that bring's out the dreaded GW.
Any time I ever got GW it was either a newly setup tank or I had messed with a tank in a major way as in substrate digging, rock or wood removal , overcleaning filters etc. , or a couple of these at once...
And by saying , "newly setup", that is how I refer to any tank that has not been established at LEAST 1 year ... planted or not.
To become a fully balanced environment takes a long time. Planted tanks definately get there a bit quicker but it still takes a long time to balance out... and even while its trying to establish we mess with them. :lol:

All your numbers look good so I wont even venture a guess as to what is causing it...

IMO I believe that GW is the result of an insufficient or weakened bacterial colony that allows " :?: " to build in our water's parameters and let the GW get a foothold.
We see GW and test for everything that we have kits for... but what about testing for Bacteria ? the good, the bad and the ugly ?

Its all about balance ... and with everything you are pumping into that tank that has 300 watts of light over it is going to take time, trial, and error

My Advice: Do not beat yourself to death trying to figure it out, if there was an easy answer we would all know allready,
My Solution Get yoursel a Diatom Filter and kick that GW's Butt. If it comes back, go to the closet and get the Diatom and whoop its butt again... :lol:

...or you can do the water changes, fert adjustments, blackout period, adjust the lighting phase, ...yada yada yada...

Buck 8) (the guy who gave up trying to figure out why)