I also made some changes to the filter intake. I purchased the fluval filter sponge that you attach to the filter intake to keep the moss from getting sucked up and harming the impeller. The foam itself is quite large and bulky, so I gave the foam sponge a haircut and zip-tied it with a undergravel filter airbubbler. It now keeps the moss from jamming my impeller or any other object getting sucked into the filter.
I also made a DIY aquascaping tool that allows me to clean any diatoms or hair algae from the glass as well as slope the substrate with a baking spatula and a aquarium safe scouring pad which I folded and zip tied to the end. With an aquarium with such a small opening at the top, every little bit helps.