The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - What the Cork*?
Thread: What the Cork*?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
EdwardN
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/96%)
Smile Cork panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole99v View Post
Hey i heard you could use cork bark in an aquarium, anyone know about this shiz?
On an edited note, I'm putting it towards the back making a terrace of sorts, then filling the gap with sand.
It is best to use cork panels like the ones used for terrariums and the likes. Internet would provide you with suppliers, size of panels and prices.

I used a rather big panels on the back wall of my 180 earlier this year and planted varieties of Java Fern and also Java moss on them.

Use aquarium grade silicone to attach panels to glass. I used a lot of silicone around a panel as well as across it and pressed it to the glass with a piece of wood across the tank. Let it cure for a few days dry and then add water - I changed water a few times before adding substrate and starting planting.

Be sure to fit pieces as a 'dry run' and cut anything to fit tight before attaching panels permanently. Use a generous amount of silicone to secure panels tight, so no living creature would be able to sqeeze in.

Plants you can attach to panels with a 'crazy glue' or staples when you have a substrate in and you start filling with water after the curing time.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote