The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Ct. Petsmart using goldfish in tanks for snail control
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
comet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default Ct. Petsmart using goldfish in tanks for snail control

I visited my Waterbury, Ct. Petsmart today. I found "feeder" fish, comet and gold fish in the tropical tanks.

When I asked the help why they were doing this as I had never seen this practice there before, I was told that corporate office said to do this to control snail populations. One salesperson actually agreed with me and had complained about it also, and said they just "didn't bother to listen" to him.

I tried to explain why this was not a good practice, but they just said they were following orders.

Later I called the store and spoke with the manager and he said I was right about the staff using the feeder goldfish for this practice and would have them removed.
But, he also said he usually only uses Oranda goldfish for this practice because they are "healthier". They are then supposed to move the same goldfish from tank to tank to clean up the snails.....
I told him I still felt this was not a good practice for transmission of parasites and diseases the goldfish may carry.
Again, I never noticed this practice at this store. But the manager has only been there 3 weeks and this is what he "always does".

Needless to say I will be contacting the corporate office to question this practice.

Again, I have never seen this store do this in the 5-6 years I've been shopping there. Maybe I missed it.? This is the ONE store where they actually had sales help that were very helpful and knowledgeable about fish. Didn't see any of them tonight though..

If anyone thinks this is an OK thing to do, please let me know. I'd really like to know.

Sorry for the rant, but this was the one store that I could actually get healthy stock from.
comet is offline   Reply With Quote