The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Converting my 125 gallon planted tank to a ....
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
kherman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to kherman
Default Converting my 125 gallon planted tank to a ....

Well, here's the old set up. A planted tank with CO2. The works.

Aquascaping thread on another foumr
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...2&m=8696047754

now for the ....

I want to do what I think is called a Vivarium.

I hope to turn this into my "offical planning thread". Maybe I'll move it to the vivarium forum once I decide on this.

What I want to do is take may 125 gallon tank which has a 5'x2' footprint and make it approximately half water. The tank height is 20", so 10" will have water in this case. I'd bascially make a slope with the substrate from deep water till it hits land. So, half half of the water will make the water area about 20-30 gallons. I'm hoping to get closer to 30" water. Maybe an island in the middle of it via driftwood. I plan on having some smaller fish in there (neons, etc). I also want land animals. Maybe frogs. Maybe not. Something that won't eat my fish and won't try to escape.

I plan on using glosso as ground cover in the water. Land plants are TBD.

Some kick off questions.
1) I will have to go with an overflow for this, corrrect? After all, I need to maintain the water level. Easy enough.

2) Due to (1), I also have to go with a sump, correct?

3) Is there a site that can recomend land animals? Something unique would be nice.

4) Is this possible to do in a low maintnenace manner? That's part of the reason I am going with glosso for ground cover in the water. it's also part of the reason I want to change my tank from a planted tank to something else. Besides. I need a change. The animals arn't the issue. I juut don't want to spend alot of time trimming plants. Feeding animals is hte easy part I might also do some crpyts under water.

I might start work on the new setup VERY soon. Possibly tommorrow night if I buy the sump. I just ned a kick in the pants from you all

Karl

PS: I've been planning this for a while. I thin it's time I take the step of ust doing it