The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Will shrimp eat fish eggs?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
mayanjungledog
Geek

PTrader: (58/100%)

Thanks for the replies. I have a trio of otos in a 10 gallon cherry and tiger shrimp tank. They've been spawning since I got the them several months ago. Of about a total of 5 or 6 spawning, only two fry have survived. The tank is low tech, pretty heavily planted. I'm trying to rule out some causes of unsuccessful spawnings. I can see the oto laying the eggs and the last spawn was the first that the eggs did not hatch. The eggs literally just disappeared overnight. Prior to this spawning, the eggs would hatch, the fry would be around for a few days, then disappear. Incidentally, around the same time, I noticed that berried cherry shrimps weren't successfully carrying their eggs to hatching either. I found out it was because of hydra. That problem has been resolved with fenbendazole. I feed the shrimps/otos about every 1-2 days with a variety of stuff including algae wafers, sinking shrimp wafers, blanched zucchini, etc. I'm wondering if perhaps the eggs that were laid weren't fertilized, so the shrimps ate them? I have not actually seen a shrimp eating the oto eggs. I have photos of the baby otos, but I can't figure out how to upload them on to the threads. Can someone help me out with that? Thank you.
mayanjungledog is online now   Reply With Quote