The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - PAR Data-Spiral Power Saver Bulbs, lighting question
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Absolutely beautiful tanks i4x4nMore. I would be interested in how exactly you determine approriate light levels if not watts per gallon. I know you mentioned using a par meter. Is that what you do? I would be more interested in learning about your methods. You stated that nutrient deprivation is the biggest reason that people fail at growing HC, glosso, and riccia in non-c02 tanks. However, IME I have seen riccia grow like a weed(even when tied to rock) in my high tech and low tech non-c02 tanks, but in the same tanks Hairgrass has died off and HC has failed to grow at all(even with ADA Aquasoil II and water column dosing). What is your explanation for this? Light intensity over c02? I have reservations about shining too intense light on a tank. Even experimenting with a 10 gallon where c02 tested ideal, water parameters were ideal, fert dosing was ideal, and even plant growth was explosive with only 30 watts fluorescent lighting(6500K daylight) that tank was literally raped by just about every algae imaginable. BGA, followed by black brush, followed by clado, and even green dust algae. The single biggest change that resulted in the algae disappearing was a reduction in light intensity from 30 watts total to 20 watts(6500K daylight)
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote