The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - how's my scape and what plant to add
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy87 View Post
I'd be afraid of killing off my rotala. Any one have any experience of doing this?
I regularly cut my R. rotundifiola back to 5 nodes above the substrate. It does indeed take about a month to get bushy again, and about two months to start really dragging along the water surface, but it comes back with more branches. The initial new leaves that the Rotala produce after a severe cut always look tiny, which creates an unattractive (for me) "pinch" in otherwise conforming branch of leaves. So, often, I lop off the top 6 inches, and stick them back in the substrate, and either toss the bottoms or give 'em away. I usually end up with way more tops than I need anyway, since Rotala branches quickly when it's allowed to grow up to the water surface (and turns an even more amazing pink).

I do like the rounded look of yours, with the shorter branches at the forefront of the bush.

I know it seems like everyone advises a red plant in the back left corner, but what about a very dark green plants to play off the dark green moss on the right.