The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Show me your Spec!
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #469
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey all,

I've had a couple Specs and love the look and form-factor but have always found myself wanting to tweak/mod the filtration. So, I finally decided to ditch the whole filter and go with a mattenfilter since I've been so happy with one (and Poret foam filters in general) in my main tank. The stock filter was very easy to remove - just silicone which cleaned up nicely with a razor blade. I used 1" 30ppi Poret and a small Jetlifter from swisstropicals.com, and I cut off the very bottom of the stock filter to use as a "gravel-guard" at the base of the foam. I have the front edge of the foam lined up with the frosted glass edge, and a Hydor Theo fits nicely as does the stock top. The foam is cut just slightly wider than the tank and stays in place by itself. 1" Poret works ok in this tank as it's only 7" wide or so, but in a larger tank the 2" foam is much more stable.

Not sure what I'll use it for, yet!