The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Synthetic oil
Thread: Synthetic oil
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 02:30 PM   #36
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkidvoodoo
i knew this was going to start a war, but whatever, i'll play along (incidentally, that's what i say to myself when some guy in a camaro/mustang/or any other "american muscle" car starts flexing on me at a stoplight). first of all, i am not a professional race car driver, and i have never been to the drag strip with my WRX. all i can say is that on more than 10 occasions, i have humiliated said "american muscle" cars at various stoplights around town. owners of cars with relatively high horsepower ratings tend to assume that horsepower is all that is functioning in a dragrace. i will admit that my car is not completely stock, but i doubt my boost controller is really accounting for all that much. i grew up in a muscle car family, and for a long time i though there was "no replacement for displacement", i have found this to be totally, and completely false.
Let's keep this generic wild speculation to a minimum, guys. Keep it to the facts. Bottom line is performance comparison is a black art. Just about any car can beat another one at one time or another. I've outrun several LT1 F-Bodies on the street in my 225hp 1998 Mustang GT. Is my car faster? Nope. I just won that particular race.
And I've been beaten by slower cars because of driver error plenty of times. There is a Celica GTS out there that thinks he's the man for beating a Mustang because I didn't adjust my clutch properly and slipped it throughout 1st and 2nd gear. The street is full of dust and oil, especially at intersections. And even if you are on a prepared track, the faster car won't always win.

Just quite making wild assumptions about other people and this discussion will remain civil. What do I mean by assumptions?

- owners of cars with relatively high horsepower ratings tend to assume that horsepower is all that is functioning in a dragrace.
- for a long time i though there was "no replacement for displacement", i have found this to be totally, and completely false.
- "american muscle"

I'm not being condescending towards your choice of automobile and I expect you to maintain the same standards of respect on this board.