The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Got my $80 Pressurized CO2 running!
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #11
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Well I've been doing quite a bit of reading in the past hour and I've found that silicone will generally lose 5%-10% and regular airline tubing (usually vinyl) loses 30%. I'm definitely going to upgrade to the CO2 tubing the next time I place an order, but can't justify the cost just now.

The regulator is sealed with a soft plastic washer that came with it. I tightened it pretty well but didn't use any teflon tape. I figured if the washer didn't do its job, the tape wouldn't be much use at that pressure.

What you said did make sense, though. But I don't think I'm going to worry about it. This might just be normal settling and temperature fluctuation. It has been at 820psi for about 24 hours now and it should stay that way until the cylinder is just about empty. For some reason I was under the impression that the tank pressure reading would slowly drop as the tank emptied. But since CO2 resides in the tank in liquid form, it won't start dropping in pressure until the liquid has all turned to gas. (just talking out loud if you know this already, hehe)

Right now, I have no reason to believe there are any leaks, I guess.