The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Amazon collecting Sales Tax in June
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
steven
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.tran View Post
This is just plain stupid. They give us the economical stimulus and then they tax us?
I agree that the state sales tax on purchases from out-of-state companies is improper, but I don't understand your statement. The "they" that setup the economic stimulus is the federal government, and the "they" that is collecting the sales tax is the New York state government. There is no connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.tran View Post
The worst thing is that this is the first state for this to happen but probally not the last. I have a feeling other states are gonna follow.
I fear you are right. I'm sure quite a few state legislatures are waiting with bated breath for the outcome of Amazon's lawsuit.

What I'm really curious about is how such a law can be enforced. What can the New York state government do to "punish" a non-compliant company that isn't within New York's jurisdiction? Since it is not a federal law, it seems like online retailers with no physical prescence in New York could (and should) just ignore it. It is going to be a bad precedent if the supreme court upholds a state law that is effectively governing companies/people in other states.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote