The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Insulate power cords
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2003, 10:09 PM   #4
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think what is bothering you is the notion that putting electrical equimpent under water just doesn't seem right!

You ought to look into whether the outlet you will be connecting to is protected by a Ground Fault Interrupter. If the electrical equipment should fail, and you stick your hand in the water, the circut breaker in the outlet will trip before you get electrocuted.

If any outlet on the circut is replaced with a GFI outlet (about $15 at a hardware store IIRC) then all outlets on the circut are protected. Bathrooms and kitchens and other wet locations are typically procected according to building code. But you can't assume that the protected outlet in your bathroom is going to be the same circut as your bedroom. Could be that several wet locations (kitchen, bath, garage) are on the protected circut and no bedrooms at all. And you don't want to install a GFI on a circut that is already protected, it's just annoying, "Which one popped, the one in the garage or in the hall bath?"

If you find a funny outlet with two colored switches -- that's the GFI. Push in the button that is out and see what turns off, maybe the tank is already protected. Be sure to push the other button to reset.

I think that you can get mltiplug outlets that are GFI protected, but I'm not sure. I really ought to find out since I just realized that my bath GFI does not protect my tank....

anona, smarter everyday
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote