The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Hagen versus homemade formula
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2004, 03:33 AM   #7
wendyv
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Amanda, what most of the people are using from what I gather is the regular Fleishmanns and I would imagine that the "stabilizer" (my guess) is baking soda. Just a guess as I am sure that the people on these boards know more then me. The only thing I am wondering is with the small container that comes with the Hagen setup; do you add the same amount of sugar to the water; I have no idea. My recipe from these boards and others is 2 cups sugar fill the 2 litre bottle half way with hot water and shake it up real well. Add 1/2 teaspoon of yeast to a little water with a pinch of sugar in a cup and let it rise a bit. Meanwhile add cold water to the bottle almost to the line to get room temp. water; then add 1 teaspoon baking soda. When the yeast has risen a bit; rises to top of the water; add it to the bottle and add enough water to get it to the line in the bottle. Usually takes at the most about 1 hour to get it going. Works really well for about a week or so; but then the bubbles slowly decrease; so I like to make up a mixture once a week. I am thinking of going to a large pail (10 kg's) and making only up one batch instead of 3 small bottles. Guess I would have to put quite a bit of sugar into the 10 kg pail as that is like 5 bottles; since I do 2 cups per 2 litre bottle, guess I would add 10 cups of sugar to the pail; anyone know if I should also add more yeast; for ex. 2 1/2 teaspoons, and 5 teaspoons of baking soda? This is just a test; so I have no idea?
Thanks for any imput.
Wendy
wendyv is offline   Reply With Quote