The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Excellent List of Low Light Plants
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 05:17 AM   #11
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagius View Post
These low light plant above still live happily in high light, right ?
Yes. All of these will do fine in high light tanks(provided other things are in check.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
I don't see why not. The cryptocornes will tolerate low to very high light levels as will aponogentons and tiger lotuses which are not on the list. That is my experience anyways. The only ones that I would be careful with if you are going to use high light is anubias and java ferns. In my experience, these will quickly form green spot and and green thread/hair algae if you expose them to high light. In a high light tank, you can shade or partially shade them with other taller plants or with some floating plants and that should prevent the problem as long as your other parameters(consistent and proper c02 levels and adequate ferts) are in order. The problem is in trying to get a balance where you are not cutting down on so much light that other high light plants that you may have in the tank suffer due to lack of light and that you are not providing so much light that plants like anubias, java fern, and java moss develop algae. I find 2 watts per gallon seems to work well for most plants.
I have not added alot since then but I been meaning to so if you would like I will continue to add other plants in this thread so you can add to the list. 2-3 watts per gallon is perfect for most plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
I found your listing really helpful when I came across it and bookmarked it. I liked it so much that I decided to post it here for the benefit of members. I hope you don't mind I am not sure about the more elaborate list posted on this site as I have not seen it.

I still consider your list to be one of the best that I have seen. Thanks for sharing. I found it most useful
Oh I do not mind at all. I put it up to help people on that site . No problem, its all for the love of the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalltank3 View Post
Great list! I'll look into these plants for later refrence!

BTW, you repeated hornwort twice
lol, thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuzo View Post
i think lots of vallisneria species should be on the list as well.
Yes, I do find that most do better in a medium-medium high light tank though.
James From Cali is offline   Reply With Quote