The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Nanofish List (v1.0)
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 04:34 AM   #67
fishboy23
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel*Swords View Post
Guys! I think we are missing all the nice killis!!
Anyone keep those to give us a starting point?

After browsing the forum, found that these have been kept by members too.

Dwarf Pencilfish (Nannostomus marginatus)
Similis Ciclid (Neolamprologus similis)
Bumblee Goby (Brachygobius sp.)
Pygmy/ Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila)
I know this thread has been around for a while, but a killie question gone unanswered is something I can't bear to see
Most all of the lampeye killies (genera Aplocheilichthys, Poropanchax, Lacustricola, etc) are fantastic candidates for nano-planted tanks. My experience with lampeyes is solely with a Lacustricola (cant think of the species right now, but it was actually an east african one). They are a neat little fish (and baby brine shrimp are your friend if you have lampeyes!).
Any of the small chromaphyosemions (bivitattum, bitaeniatum, sp. Ecurya) make fantastic colonies in small planted tanks. That goes for many of the other more common Aphyosemions. Some of the rarer aphyosemions would probably live in them, but breeding in a planted tank could be a challenge for some (such as the diapterons). Those are perhaps best off in a java moss tank.
Rivulus (and the fish that used to be in rivulus, taxonomists are splitting the genus up as we speak) are also good planted-tank choices, though some get pretty big. These are probably killies best for really shallow tanks (it helps with agression issues).
Some of the genera listed in an earlier post (I recall seeing terranatos, which is a monotypic genus that plays host to dolichopterus, the famous saber-fin killie) are soil spawning killies (lay eggs in mud in the bottom of temporary pools, pools dry up, eggs incubate, fry hatch when the rains return...more to it, but not room in one post). These are fish best left to breeding tanks, and definitely to species tanks. Peat moss is just something you dont want to have to take out and incubate out of your planted nano tank. Don't want to breed the fish? That's fine, but dont expect a long life out of the fish (some soil spawners, like Nothobranchius furzeri or T. dolichopterus are alive in the wild for a matter of only a few months. Even with proper care they can only be expected to live for 9-10 months--less on furzeri.)
Epiplatys are good choices, but only fish like Ps. annulats (clown killie), Ep. chevalieri, Ep. dageti and allies stay small enough for nano tanks. Smaller aplocheilus species (like parva and kirshmeri) can be kept in a similar fashion.
Lastly, there are natives that work well. Fundulus dispar is one that I kept in a planted tank with good results. Jen's darters make good tankmates too! (keep the water flowing! Oxygen is key).
Well...after that novel, I think I have about summed them up...It's hard to pinpoint just a few fish to add to the list...
fishboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote