The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Using new lamps in old fixture?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
Hello!
I'm making a fish tank for my teacher, and we're hoping to go the planted route. He hasn't been into fish keeping for a while but had a lamp hood in storage with the bulb. Checked the manufacturing date, and it seems the hood was made in 1994. The light that was still in there was a T12, so I assume that's what the hood was made for.
I want to get a new, better light for it, and was wondering if I could put a T5HO fixture in there without it exploding or electrocuting the water (that's already happened so far with this tank-not quite looking forward to another experience).
Thank you!
Hi Warbler,

You didn't mention what length fixture but there is a simple, easy LED retrofit for old fluorescent or incandescent fixtures using LED lamps. The LED lamp retrofits offered by AH Supply operate on 120 VAC (wall outlet power), do not require a transformer, ballast, or power driver, and come in 15 watt, 20 watt, and 26 watt output and are 6400K ($72 - $99). They have good PAR readings as well.

PAR readings of 20 watt LED lamp

Aqueon\All Glass Fixture w/20 watt LED lamp; socket already installed

20 gallon with 20 watt LED; no CO2

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote