Ugh. So in light of getting DHG started I upgraded th light to a Finnex Ray 2 16".
First, it is scary bright. My husband actually finds it uncomfortable it is so incredibly bright. Seems like huge overkill on that tiny tank. And has revealed an awful what I hope is algae problem. I've never seen cloudy sorta clear algae, but it is everywhere. Bad, nasty looking. I've had planted tanks before and never seen anything like it. My Eheim 9g has nothing like it. Didn't really show under the stock light, does now!
Will be doing a large water change today, hoping that helps! And hopefully the light helps the plants take off which will help the algae. I hope it isn't mold which is the only other thing I could think it to be!