The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Filterless Riparium Style Mini Bowl---The Return
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default Filterless Riparium Style Mini Bowl---The Return

Welcome to my Filterless Riparium Style Mini Bowl.

I actually had this all setup nicely about 3-4 years ago, before all the cool kids started doing it. I had this AreoGarden thing that needed to be on for like 18 hours a day and it started to bug me (but worked really well). I then found a cable that allowed me to just use the light on a timer, found this little bowl thing and took a piece of driftwood and threw it in. I then took clippings, made something cool, and never took one picture. I even had some shrimp in it.

I got bored of it and just left it outside for a few years, watering it with my other plants. It used to have crazy emmersed growth but that died every winter. I started to use terrestrial moss instead of aquatic. I still have some DHG growing on it but that is about it.

My purpose of this "tank"....I saw OVT's vase a few weeks ago when he made me take a break from my wedding planning. After some long conversation, a giant dog and a few too many beers, he finally reveal his gem of low tech. I later found a thread on it, felt left out, and now am doing my own. I feel it is my obligation to at least try to compete with him, if not out do him, we will see.

My other reasoning is that I have a small recording studio, purposely dimly lit and need some life in here. I am thinking about doing something that is real sized but this will do for now. I need to paint, finish up my acoustics and other studio stuff before I commit to a bigger tank.

My hope is that the tank is pretty set and forget. It's a place for my clippings, some extra life to inspire music and that is about it. I also plan to ditch the lighting and try LED's for the first time.

Basics:
20 oz Bowl (more or less)
AreoGarden 24 watt PC light (will go at some point)
Random clippings from plants

Here is how the startup went:

Cleaned bowl...Harder than I would have thought as it has been outside for 3-4 years. Dig out light/stand from garage, not so hard since I spent many hours cleaning a few weeks ago:

Place driftwood...Simple enough, stick it in bowl:

Add Petco Sand. The stuff looks cool but likes to float. Hard to plant in. I may swap out later if it becomes problematic.

Added some clippings for tank. Didn't feel like planting, just added sand to bury them. It's a bit too deep but it's fine for now.:

Filled:

Last edited by talontsiawd; 09-25-2013 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Update
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote