Update: Latest tank shot. Bunch of pics in latest post. Also just posted some brief YouTube videos.
Found a Kijiji deal I couldn't pass up...125G tank, stand, canister filters, the works. Yay birthday money. Yay people moving. Also, since I only need the tank and stand, I'm selling off the filtration (Rena XP2 & XP3) and bits to recoup some cost.
Things I want to do differently...
- 125G tank
- 50G sump
- 30G shrimparium
- T5-HO lighting
- Change the overflow location from along the back to the side.
- Do something more even/less turbulent for the return flow.
- Returns will be over the top, not through glass.
- Change plumbing, only on the ends (no longer blocking the view)
- Change the sump configuration based on experience with this design.
- Incorporate a refugium/shrimparium that uses the same water.
- Adjustable height lighting so access inside is much easier.
- Do the MTS/clay step correctly.
- Less gravel depth, bigger driftwood/rock formations.
I'm excited about the 50G sump...the holes will be patched with glass/silicone, the dividers will be scrap glass. Now that I've seen many different ways of designing sumps (and some in action), I'll probably do something better for this one.
The old 30G sump will be dismantled and bits re-used where possible. Still not certain how it'll work for plumbing to/from the sump...a fun problem to solve.
My biggest issue with this whole project is that in order to do this...the existing system must be completely torn down, and I only have a 20G tank spare. This means some fish will have to be sent to other homes. I'll try and keep the cardinals/platies/phantoms...the angel and black skirts I'll have to donate. Still, that's ~20 fish in that little tank. Hm. Anyways...just the planning phase right now...
More to come.