The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Finally a new (to me) camera!
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Finally a new (to me) camera!

Like the title says, I have a new to me (bought used) camera. This is a good day because I have regretted trading my Olympus DSLR for a road bike (although I do love my bike) since the day I made the trade.

First off, I have to say I never saw myself getting anything but a DSLR again, but pigs must have flown (does swine flu count? ha..ha)
So this is what I got:

Sony NEX-F3 with 18-55mm lense and a wide angle fisheye lens, along with a 32GB 8hr 45mb/s memory card, and all the other accessories that came with it new. Fortunately, all I have in it is $250! (Friend gave me a deal)

Normally, I would do a lot of research before buying a camera, but this came up rather quickly and I wasn't so sure what I was getting myself into. Not to mention this is my first used camera. I feel the price I paid was a good deal, now I just have to hope everything works as it should.

I know there is a good chance this wont replace that feeling of missing my DSLR, but that's simply because its not a DSLR. Although it does have an APS-C size sensor, which is awesome considering the size. The main reason I purchased it, aside from the price compared to a new NEX or DSLR, was because I love to hike, backpack, etc and the DSLR's size would always keep me from bringing it. Now, I should have a little bit of both worlds (when comparing P&S to DSLR.)

Here's one of the first pics I took with it of a rummynose (no editing or filters):

This is a picture taken with my my roommates iPad, next to an iPhone 5s for comparison:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374015137.041041.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	176057
As you can see, it's not much bigger (not including thickness or lens)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374015169.849753.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	176065

I noticed there has not been much talk about these EVIL (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lenses as Nubster put it) cameras, so I will post back in is thread at various times to report any issues or drawbacks.

I definitely plan to purchase the OLED viewfinder and a macro lens in the future, maybe another battery depending on how much I actually use it.

Any questions? comments? Suggestions for lenses? Has anyone tried using a NEX series camera with A-Mount lenses?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374015266.584618.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	176073  

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote